MNP to implement number portability by SeptemberApril 30th, 2009 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 30 (IANS) MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions India plans to implement mobile number portability services in Kolkata, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu circles by September this year, a top official said here Thursday.
“By April 2010, we plan to launch the service in circles in the eastern and the southern parts of the country, including the whole of West Bengal,” Ashok Sapra, managing director of the US-based Telcordia Technologies, which owns a majority stake in MNP, told reporters.
MNP plans to invest about $10 million in creating requisite infrastructure like data centres and a clearinghouse and in developing telecom solutions to implement the number portability service, company chairman Richard Jacowleff said.
MNP, a 74:26 joint venture between Telcordia and DTC Pvt Ltd of India, had earlier received licence from the Department of Telecommunications to provide the number portability service that allows mobile users to change their operators while retaining their mobile phone number.
However, telecom service providers will have the discretion to either accept or reject any request from subscribers to change their numbers, Sapra said.
- BSNL ready for mobile number portability - Sep 10, 2010
- Telcordia bags five-year deal from Unitech Wireless - Jun 29, 2009
- Haryana to get Mobile Number Portability - Nov 24, 2010
- Mobile number portability not much of a hit - Dec 04, 2011
- Over 50 mn opted for mobile number portability till May - Jul 05, 2012
- Two US firms selected for number portability services - Mar 09, 2009
- 32.79 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Mar 06, 2012
- 59.31 mn subscribers opted for MNP till July: TRAI - Sep 09, 2012
- 45.89 mn subscribers opted for MNP till April: TRAI - Jun 27, 2012
- Number portability implementation extended to Dec 31 - Sep 03, 2009
- 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 09, 2012
- 29.24 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 30, 2012
- Telecom market dominated by older players, users wont get affected: TRAI - Feb 02, 2012
- Over 180.59 lakh opt for mobile number portability - Oct 20, 2011
- TRAI to fine operators for contravening MNP rules - Sep 19, 2012
Tags: 10 million, ashok sapra, chairman richard, company chairman, dtc, joint venture, karnataka, kolkata, majority stake, managing director, mobile number, mobile phone number, mobile users, number portability services, pvt ltd, requisite infrastructure, telcordia technologies, telecom service providers, telecom solutions, west bengal