Mixed signs about US economy recoveryDecember 24th, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 24 (IANS) Americans have been spending more for the last two months as their personal income rose the
most in six months, but a surprise drop in new home sales to a seven-month low sent mixed signals about US economic recovery.
The Commerce Department said Wednesday income climbed by 0.4 percent, or $49.7 billion, during November, after an upwardly revised 0.3 percent rise in October. That was the biggest gain since May, when it rose 1.5 percent.
Spending climbed 0.5 percent, or $47.9 billion, last month after increasing 0.6 percent in October. Analysts had expected consumer spending, which normally accounts for more than two-thirds of US economic activity, to rise 0.6 percent.
Personal savings totalled $521.1 billion in November, or 4.7 percent of disposable income, compared to $516.7 billion in October.
The report came one day after the government said that gross domestic product, the broadest measure of economic activity, grew 2.2 percent in the third quarter.
A separate report from the department showed sales of newly built single homes unexpectedly plunged in November.
The seasonally adjusted annual rate of new home sales plummeted 11.3 percent to 355,000 in November compared to the prior month, a Census Bureau report said.
The November rate was the lowest since April, when new homes sold at an annualised rate of 345,000.
Sales of new construction were expected to edge up to an annualised rate of 438,000 for the month of November, according to a consensus of economists surveyed by Briefing.com.
But that estimate was based on the initial report for October, which showed an annual sales rate of 430,000. On Wednesday, the Census Bureau revised the October rate down to 400,000.
- US consumer spending goes up in November - Dec 24, 2011
- US retail sales go up - Mar 14, 2012
- US consumer credit up in October - Dec 08, 2011
- US economy grew 2.5 percent in third quarter - Oct 28, 2011
- US new home sales rise - Nov 29, 2011
- `South Korean economic indicators weakening' - Feb 07, 2012
- US stocks mixed amid tepid data - Jan 13, 2012
- US home sales rebound from record low - Apr 26, 2011
- US retail sales up in September - Oct 16, 2011
- US economy grew faster than thought in fourth quarter - Mar 01, 2012
- Dollar dips on consumer spending, eurozone inflation - Apr 30, 2011
- No impact of uncertainty on IT business: Premji (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Rate of new home construction in US rises - Jul 20, 2011
- US retail sales up in December - Jan 13, 2012
- Brazil's jobless rate hits nine-year low - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,