‘Mittal loses 16 billion pounds in credit crunch’October 5th, 2008 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 5 (IANS) More than 16 billion pounds have been wiped off the fortune of India-born steel magnate Lakshmi Niwas Mittal, making him Britain’s biggest loser from the global credit crunch, a newspaper reported Sunday.Mittal is among 10 super-rich Britons who have lost 23 billion pounds between them, the Sunday Times reported.
Mittal, Britain’s wealthiest man and head of the world’s largest steel company ArcelorMittal, remains a multi-billionaire, the paper said.
But Mittal’s family stake in the company has fallen from 33.24 billion pounds on June 4 to 16.63 billion pounds Friday - equivalent to losing nearly six million pounds an hour, or 137 million pounds a day.
The paper said the losses suffered by other billionaires pale in comparison to Mittal’s.
However, another Indian-origin billionaire to have been hit hard is Vedanta head Anil Agarwal, who is 2.7 billion pounds poorer, the paper added.
- Indian artist's house in London occupied by protesters - Jun 22, 2012
- Belgian trade union files complaint against ArcelorMittal - Feb 21, 2012
- Blair met Mittal over Kazakhstan deal: Report - Oct 30, 2011
- Indian touch to Olympic arts in London (With Image) - Jul 19, 2012
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal among 'World's Most Powerful Billionaires' - Jan 28, 2010
- Wealth of 100 richest Indians pegged at $300 bn by Forbes - Sep 30, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- Indian-born artist Anish Kapoor's design chosen for landmark 2012 sculpture - Apr 01, 2010
- Steel giants Arcelor and POSCO gear up for new ventures in Karnataka - Jan 08, 2010
- Mittal takes a pounding, but still tops Rich List - Apr 26, 2009
- UK's richest man Mittal lost 1.9 million pounds per hour last year - Apr 26, 2009
- ArelorMittal could make 1 bn pounds from climate change: Report - Dec 06, 2009
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal among world's top ten billionaires - Mar 11, 2010
- ArcelorMittal becomes sponsor of London 2012 Olympics - Apr 01, 2010