Ministers’ panel to review cotton export banMarch 7th, 2012 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 7 (IANS) Just two days after the commerce ministry banned cotton exports, citing low output and increased domestic demands, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday ordered a review of the decision on request from his party colleagues.
The prime minister has asked a Group of Ministers to review the decision urgently.
“A delegation of the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee along with in-charge General Secretaries, of Gujarat and Maharashtra met the prime minister today with a request for immediate removal of ban on export of cotton,” the prime minister’s office said in a statement.
“The prime minister has given directions that a Group of Ministers should review this decision urgently on 9th March, 2012,” it said, without naming the ministers who will be in the group.
The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) issued a notification March 5 to put a ban on cotton exports with immediate effect.
Leaders from Gujarat and Maharashtra, the two leading cotton producing states, have reacted sharply on the exports ban decision, demanding its immediate removal.
In a letter to the prime minister, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said the export ban would prove disastrous for the farmers.
Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar had also criticised the move and demanded the prime minister’s intervention.
- India allows fresh cotton exports - Apr 30, 2012
- India rolls back cotton exports ban - Mar 12, 2012
- Andhra seeks lifting of ban on cotton exports - Mar 07, 2012
- Pawar complains to PM on cotton, sugar exports (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Pawar complains to PM on cotton, sugar exports - Apr 12, 2012
- BJP MPs urge PM to lift sugar, cotton, onion export ban - Mar 16, 2011
- Onion export ban lifted - Sep 20, 2011
- Vidarbha farmers unimpressed by budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Lift cotton export ban, demand Vidarbha farmers - Feb 27, 2011
- India bans cotton export fearing lower stocks at home - Mar 05, 2012
- Maharashtra bans Bt cotton seeds (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Onion export ban to be reviewed - Sep 19, 2011
- India to export 55 lakh bales of cotton in 2010-11 - Sep 04, 2010
- Government to lift ban on cotton exports - Mar 11, 2012
- Onion export ban was not panic decision: Minister - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, chief minister, commerce ministry, congress committee, cotton exports, delegation, directorate general of foreign trade, domestic demands, export ban, gujarat, maharashtra, manmohan, manmohan singh, narendra modi, New Delhi, party colleagues, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, secretaries, sharad pawar