Mining, railways hit hard in Jharkhand due to power failureJuly 31st, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 31 (IANS) Mining and railway services were hit hard in Jharkhand due to unprecedented tripping in the Eastern Grid Tuesday. Major mining companies - BCCL and CCL - have also halted coal production due to the power failure.
“More than 20 trains have been stranded at different places in our division. We are trying to bring the trains to Dhanbad station by diesel engines,” an official of Dhanbad railway division told IANS over telephone.
The trains are stranded at Ranchi, Dhanbad, Bokaro and other places of the state.
“For the first time we are witnessing such a situation that trains are stranded due to power problem,” said Kanti, a passenger at Ranchi railway station.
According to authorities, the railway services are likely to resume by late evening.
The mining activities have got halted in Central Coalfields Limited (CCL). “The mining activities have been halted due to power failure. No coal production has taken place in second shift. The coal production will resume only after power is resorted,” Deepak Kumar, public relation officer (PRO) of CCL told IANS.
The CCL in three shifts produces around 1.25 to 1.45 lakh tonnes coal a day. In four hours, according to sources in CCL it has suffered a loss of 20,000 to 25,000 tonnes of coal production.
The mining has also been affected in Bharat Coking Coal Limited (BCCL).
According to Jharkhand State Electricity Board (JSEB) chairman S.N. Verma, 50 megawatts (MW) of power has been arranged from Bhutan and efforts were on to generate power from state-owned power units.
- We cannot meet power firms' coal demands: Minister - Dec 01, 2011
- Central Coalfields loses heavily due to strike - Oct 10, 2011
- Underground mine fire now threatens Jharkhand rail lines - Aug 28, 2009
- Coal giant looks at huge losses amid closure orders - Aug 24, 2011
- Jharkhand asks coal firms to cough up taxes - Nov 21, 2010
- Large tracts of Jharkhand flooded after rains - Aug 12, 2011
- Two women die in Jharkhand as abandoned mine caves in - Feb 11, 2012
- Jharkhand mine floods, one killed (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Coal India to assess extent of illegal coal mining - Aug 22, 2012
- Miners trapped in Jharkhand - Aug 28, 2012
- AC double-decker train from Jharkhand to start soon - Oct 22, 2010
- CBI raids residences of coal traders, officials - Jun 04, 2010
- Goods train derails in Jharkhand, services affected - Oct 08, 2010
- 720,000 tonnes of coal annually smuggled in Jharkhand - Jan 02, 2010
- Bengal faces eight hours of blackout (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: bccl, bokaro, ccl, coal production, coking coal, diesel engines, different places, eastern grid, jharkhand state electricity board, jseb, late evening, megawatts, mining companies, power failure, public relation officer, railway division, railway services, railway station, railways, state electricity board