Mining mafia threatened me: Chhattisgarh legislatorMay 12th, 2012 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 12 (IANS) Chhattisgarh legislator Bheema Mandavi of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party claimed Saturday that he was threatened by the mining mafia which was ruling the roost in the insurgency-riddled, iron ore-rich Bastar region.
Mandavi, who represents the Dantewada constituency, said the mining mafia had threatened to kill him Friday night when he tried to stop trucks transporting illegal iron ore.
“There is a strong nexus between the iron ore mafia, the local authorities and police. I was threatened when I inquired about trucks ferrying iron ore illegally. Luckily I had bodyguards with me otherwise they would have gone to any extent,” Mandavi told IANS over phone.
The Dantewada constituency is part of the sprawling 40,000 sq km violence-hit Bastar region. It is estimated to have one-fifth of India’s finest quality iron ore reserves.
- Chhattisgarh legislator threatens to stop NMDC mining - Jan 29, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Dec 06, 2010
- Anti-railway Bastar protests halt iron ore shipments - Jan 18, 2012
- Chhattisgarh on alert against Maoist strike - Aug 14, 2011
- Railways suffer loss in Chhattisgarh as protest continues - Jan 20, 2012
- Anti-railway protest halts iron ore shipments (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Mining baron wants CBI probe in Goa scam - Oct 07, 2011
- Goa government caps mining truck permits - Apr 04, 2012
- NMDC iron ore shipment hit by Maoist shutdown - Dec 13, 2010
- Maoists abduct two villagers - Jan 10, 2012
- Maoists set six iron ore laden trucks on fire - Aug 14, 2010
- NMDC resumes full iron ore shipment after Maoist shutdown - Dec 22, 2010
- Maoist damage rail tracks, NMDC shipments at halt - Dec 27, 2010
- 'Press photography in Goa's illegal mines risky' - Jun 03, 2011