Mining in Western Ghats may be curbedJuly 19th, 2011 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 19 (IANS) Capping the extent of mining in the Western Ghats, stretching from Maharashtra to Kerala, is being considered, the head of a panel monitoring the area’s ecology said Tuesday.
“We are certainly considering that (capping mining) and we will make some recommendations,” said environmentalist Madhav Gadgil, who heads the Western Ghat Ecology Expert Panel (WGEEP).
Gadgil was participating in an environment workshop here.
He said the phenomenon of mining had resulted in tremendous degradation of natural resources in ecologically sensitive region, from Maharashtra to northern Kerala.
He said the panel’s report would be submitted to the ministry for environment and forests by Aug 31.
Mining has been a hazard in Goa and an emerging cause for concern for southern Maharashtra, which is opening up to iron, manganese and bauxite mining.
Gadgil, also a member of the Goa Golden Jubilee Development Council formed to create a development map for Goa, said that the WGEEP was working at grading the sensitive areas of the Western Ghats and documenting them.
“We are working out a system where there will be different grades of sensitivity and some different kind of regulations may be suggested,” he said.
- Western Ghats put on World Heritage Site list - Jul 02, 2012
- Moratorium on new projects in coastal Maharashtra extended - Oct 31, 2011
- Moratorium on new projects in coastal Maharashtra extended - Jan 10, 2011
- No environmental bar to projects cleared in Konkan - Aug 26, 2010
- Green nod for several Goa mines faulty, says ecologist - Apr 04, 2011
- Reduce mining in Goa to one-third: Panel - May 21, 2012
- Mining eating into Goa forests: Church - Jun 05, 2011
- 'Google Earth can help fight illegal mining in Goa' - Jul 20, 2011
- China using up Goa's iron ore: Report - Sep 08, 2012
- Why is state government against heritage tag for Western Ghats, question greens - Jul 09, 2012
- Goa not in iron deposit intensive areas list - Jan 12, 2012
- Activists roar for tiger reserve as Goa drags feet - Jul 11, 2011
- Goa tourism policy may lose its 'fun' - May 20, 2012
- Western Ghats being handed over to mining barons: Goa's green campaigner - Jul 05, 2012
- Mining in Western Ghats will be stopped, says Goa chief minister - Jul 28, 2009
Tags: degradation of natural resources, ecology, environment workshop, environmentalist, expert panel, extent, forests, gadgil, goa, golden jubilee, maharashtra, manganese, map, northern kerala, phenomenon, sensitive areas, sensitive region, western ghat, western ghats