Minimum support price for wheat raisedJanuary 29th, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 29 (IANS) In a bid to boost procurement of grains and provide competitive prices to farmers, the minimum support price (MSP) for rabi crop for the 2008-09 season has been raised, the government said here Thursday.The MSP of wheat, which earlier was Rs.1,000 per quintal for the 2008-09 marketing season, has been raised by Rs.80 to Rs.1,080 per quintal.
The decision was taken by the Cabinet Committee of Economic Affairs in its meeting held Wednesday. Earlier, the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP) had recommended revising the MSP for wheat to help farmers get a better price.
Procurement of wheat, a major rabi crop, starts from April. Private procurement stood at 78.40 million tonnes, while the state procurement was 22.6 million tonnes in the last season.
Incidentally, the announcement of the wheat’s MSP hike was delayed because of the impending elections, and required approval of the Election Commission.
The MSP for barley was raised by Rs.35 to Rs.680 per quintal, gram by Rs.130 to Rs.1,730 per quintal, masur (lentil) by Rs.170 to Rs.1,650, and that for rapeseed and mustard by Rs.30 each to Rs.1,830 per quintal, respectively.
- Minimum support prices for pulses, wheat raised - Oct 20, 2010
- MSP hiked to boost food production - Oct 25, 2011
- Cabinet decides to raise minimum support price for Rabi crop - Oct 20, 2010
- Haryana seeks Rs.1,800 MSP for paddy - Feb 17, 2012
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- CPSEs should need mandatory listing of 10 per cent public ownership: Govt. - Nov 05, 2009
- Haryana seeks Rs.1,275 per quintal minimum price for wheat - May 10, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Bihar procures 16 lakh tonnes of paddy - Mar 16, 2012
- Haryana paddy procurement to begin Oct 1 - Sep 22, 2011
- After drought, bumper paddy crop cheers Bihar farmers - Dec 12, 2011
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Cabinet hikes rice purchase price to Rs.1,280 per quintal - Jun 14, 2012
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Kashmir sets paddy MSP at Rs.1,080 per quintal - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: 6 million, barley, cabinet committee, economic affairs, election commission, elections, farmers, grains, jan 29, lentil, masur, msp, mustard, New Delhi, quintal, rapeseed, rs 1, state procurement, tonnes, wheat