Millionaires Filed for Unemployment Benefits In 2008October 7th, 2010 - 8:05 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez,
Oct 7, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In 2008, estimated 2,800 households with an annual income of $1 million had filed for government unemployment payments. Internal Revenue Data shows that a total of $5.2 million have been collected by the millionaire applicants, in the form of unemployment benefits. The revelation has left many people fuming over it. The resentment is caused by the fact that as millionaires they already have a lot of money. The millionaires think otherwise as by existing in the category of tax payers, they are entitled to the same benefits as any other American citizen. The argument has legal validation as unemployment benefits are a form of insurance and is funded by tax paid by the people.
The millionaires saw it as an opportunity to get some of their dollars back which they had paid in the form of taxes to the government. The millionaires are among the highest tax payers in the country and if they lost their jobs it is reasonable for them to make use of their unemployment status and get the benefits they are entitled to. On moral considerations though the incident appears quite selfish on the part of rich people.
With the rate of people below the poverty line having increased since recession, it makes little sense for a rich person not to consider the plight of his fellow countrymen. Many are critically examining the whole incident with the outlook that if a millionaire had enough liquidity to live on, then he ought to have relaxed on his benefits. The funds used by the millionaires accounts for only 0.012% of the total and is considered a negligible amount by some.
- Millionaires On Unemployment Benefits: Reports Bloomberg - Oct 07, 2010
- Let taxpayers fund political parties with democracy cess: CII - Apr 17, 2012
- 2,840 Millionaires collected unemployment benefits in 2008 - Oct 07, 2010
- Tamil Nadu to fully computerise commercial taxes department - Jan 17, 2012
- Wash clothes sparingly: Britons told - Jul 29, 2012
- Delhiites can pay property tax over this weekend - Jun 24, 2011
- Now you can call an expert home for filing IT return - Jul 24, 2012
- Making housing affordable: Realty industry needs budget boost (Comment) - Feb 26, 2012
- US Congress extends tax cut, jobless benefits - Feb 18, 2012
- No Solution To Indiana Unemployment - Jan 03, 2011
- Small mistake can lead to long delays in tax refunds - Jul 23, 2012
- Now petition calls for evicting London looters - Aug 11, 2011
- US economy needs 'jolt right now', says Obama - Oct 06, 2011
- 370,000 migrants in Britain claim out-of-work benefits - Jan 20, 2012
- New jobless claims fall in US - May 20, 2011
Tags: american citizen, fellow countrymen, gina gomez, households, internal revenue, legal validation, liquidity, millionaire, millionaires, moral considerations, negligible amount, oct 7, plight, poverty line, recession, resentment, rich person, tax payers, unemployment benefits, unemployment payments