Milk price to go up in KeralaSeptember 29th, 2008 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 29 (IANS) Kerala’s ruling Left Democratic Front (LDF) Monday decided to increase the price of government-supplied milk by Re.1. This is the fourth hike in the price of milk after the LDF government came to power two years ago.With this hike, the price of toned milk marketed through Milma (Kerala Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation) will touch Rs.20 per litre. Milma is the state’s largest milk marketing agency.
The decision to hike the price was taken in an LDF meeting following the recommendation of the Milma directors’ board, demanding Rs.2 more per litre.
“Milma demanded the hike as the dairy farmers are facing problems due to rise in price of various inputs,” its chairman P.T. Gopalakurup told IANS.
Milma procures only 720,000 litres of milk a day from the state while it needs around 980,000 litres. “At present, we are purchasing around 250,000 litres from Karnataka to meet the demand,” he said.
According to Milma officials: “The price hike is expected to help farmers as they will get around Rs.15.58 per litre of milk against Rs.14.68 at present.”
Commenting on the price hike, a dairy farmer said the price hike would at least help prevent people from quitting the field.
“Lots of people have already quit dairying as it is not a profitable venture due to increase in the cost of inputs like cattle feed. Severe labour shortage is another problem facing farmers,” said Jose Scaria, a dairy farmer in Thiruvambadi in Kozhikode district.
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
- Mother Dairy hikes milk prices - Sep 10, 2011
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- Milk to cost Rs.2 more in Karnataka from Tuesday - Feb 14, 2011
- Shimla to go without milk from Friday - Jul 07, 2011
- Kerala to get milk from Maharashtra to meet shortages - Feb 11, 2010
- Decision on milk prices taken by state federations: Pawar - Mar 22, 2010
- And now, milk price set to increase in Karnataka - Jan 14, 2011
- Karnataka eyes Indian diaspora to promote dairy exports - Jan 17, 2011
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- Tamil Nadu milk producers call off strike - Feb 14, 2011
- Vijayakant to fast Nov 24 against price hikes - Nov 21, 2011
- Pay Rs.1,800 per quintal of wheat: Badal - Oct 24, 2011
- Rs.2 cut in petrol price unacceptable: CPI-M - Jun 02, 2012
- Public fumes, as petrol prices hiked again (Roundup) - Sep 15, 2011