Milk may help prevent cancerAugust 29th, 2008 - 2:05 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Aug 29 (ANI): Milk may help fight cancer, according to a group of researchers at Flinders University in Adelaide.
The researchers are currently exploring the role of cow’’s milk in preventing bowel cancer through a research.
The university has said it is expecting to have clear evidence by the end of the year on the role milk could play in boosting the anti-cancer properties of a natural trace element, selenium.
In a human trial, the cancer expert Graeme Young is testing the benefit of selenium when delivered through cow’’s milk compared with other forms of the dietary supplement.
Previous trials had confirmed that selenium in milk could lift levels of selenium in the blood.
Professor Young said the chemical and yeast-based forms of selenium available over-the-counter had varying degrees of absorption and effect on the body.
“So those forms of selenium will differ in their capacity to change someone’’s antioxidant status and capacity to prevent cancer,” Sydney Morning Herald quoted him, as saying.
“It just so happens that when you feed selenium to cows and they produce selenium-enriched milk, the selenium seems to be in a chemical form that is both highly absorbable into the body and also more effective in terms of preventing cancer, he added.
The study involves 20 people. Researchers are comparing the milk form of selenium with a yeast form and looking at how readily they are absorbed. (ANI)
- Selenium enriched milk may help prevent cancer - Sep 01, 2008
- Eating broccoli really can lower bowel cancer risk - Oct 23, 2010
- Selenium intake linked to decreased risk of bladder cancer - Sep 01, 2010
- New bowel cancer test to be rolled out soon - Oct 04, 2010
- Drinking milk every day 'keeps cancer at bay' - Feb 06, 2011
- Drink tea without milk to lose flab - Mar 28, 2011
- Study: Some baby formulas may cause faster weight gain - Jan 26, 2011
- Sticky mussels inspire tough coating for living cells - Apr 07, 2011
- 'Selenium cuts down risk of cancer' - Jul 31, 2012
- A drug that relieves you of constipation - May 11, 2011
- High vitamin-D bread could help solve insufficiency problem - Feb 24, 2011
- China cows produce milk like human breast milk - Jun 16, 2011
- Trace elements in toenails show up cancer risk - Dec 20, 2011
- Marmite can cure diabetes - Dec 07, 2010
- Milk in tea could prevent weight loss - Mar 27, 2011