Microsoft’s Windows 7 to debut on Oct 22June 3rd, 2009 - 7:24 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, June 3 (DPA) Microsoft said Tuesday that it will debut its new operating system Oct 22 as it seeks to block a growing challenge from Google, Apple, and the open-source Linux operating system.
The world’s largest software company is releasing Windows 7 just 33 months after launching Windows Vista which has been widely panned for its demanding hardware requirements and slow response time.
No price has been named for Windows 7 but the release date is seen as good news for the computer industry which will now be able to offer machines running the new software to customers for the crucial holiday season.
Microsoft also said that it will offer upgrades to the new program to customers who bought Windows Vista from July onwards.
Microsoft’s announcement came as reports emerged that two Taiwanese computer makers Asus and Acer would both begin offering laptops running Google’s Android operating system that was originally developed for mobile phones.
Though Windows operating systems still run an estimated 90 percent of the world’s personal computers, rival programs from Apple and from vendors of the open source Linux operating system are steadily growing in prominence.
- Windows 8 heads to computer manufacturers - Aug 02, 2012
- Court acts on Microsoft plea on software piracy - Jun 16, 2012
- Microsoft reaches patent deal with LG - Jan 13, 2012
- Acer unveils dual-screen laptop - Nov 25, 2010
- Google buys Quickoffice - Jun 06, 2012
- Android overtakes Symbian as world's most popular smartphone OS - Feb 02, 2011
- Microsoft will focus on product line: Ballmer - May 27, 2010
- Will Microsoft buy BlackBerry to take on Apple? - May 06, 2011
- Apple mulls settling patent fights with Samsung - Mar 30, 2012
- 'Angry Birds' is now available for Windows users - Jun 04, 2011
- Windows 7's real shipping date revealed - Jun 03, 2009
- Google Locks Horns With Oracle, Microsoft Watches Gleefully - Aug 22, 2010
- Microsoft launches Windows Phone 7 range - Oct 12, 2010
- Ice cream sandwich powered Galaxy Nexus makes its debut - Oct 19, 2011
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: acer, android, asus, computer industry, computer makers, dpa, google, hardware requirements, holiday season, june 3, laptops, largest software, mobile phones, new operating system, new software, personal computers, prominence, slow response time, software company, windows operating systems