Microsoft’s Bing search engine aims to rival GoogleJune 2nd, 2009 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, June 1 (DPA) Microsoft stepped up its efforts to cut into the search dominance of Google, launching a public preview version of its widely praised Bing search site Monday.
The site offers several features that are not automatically available on Google such as instant excerpts that allow users to see the contents of a page without actually clicking on it and a sidebar detailing related searches.
The Bing home page is also fancier than Google’s famously spare design and shows a picture of hot air balloons flying over a craggy desert landscape in Cappadocia, Turkey. Like Google, the page offers links to specific search categories like news, video, shopping, maps and travel, and also includes a link to Microsoft’s cash-back search rewards programme.
Microsoft currently trails far behind Google in the search market, which is the most lucrative advertising format on the internet. Google has 64 percent of the US market, compared to 21 percent for Yahoo and just eight percent for Microsoft, according to recent figures from web tracking firm Comscore.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer first unveiled Bing last Thursday at a California technology conference and the early reactions have been very positive.
“Microsoft nailed it. Even if it’s not ‘as good as’ Google, it’s pretty damn close,” said Michael Arrington, founder of the influential blog Tech Crunch. “My thoughts on Bing: I like it. And I’d consider using it as my search engine.”
- Microsoft launches TV campaign to challenge Google - Sep 07, 2012
- Bing to integrate social networking with search results - May 11, 2012
- Yahoo's search migrates to Microsoft - Aug 25, 2010
- Microsoft, Yahoo join forces to challenge Google (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 29, 2009
- Nielsen: Bing is the Number 2 Search Engine in the US, Yahoo is number 3rd - Sep 15, 2010
- Google, Bing sidelining Yahoo in search market - Dec 18, 2009
- Yahoo, Microsoft link up in challenge to Google (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Google has one billion users - Jun 22, 2011
- Will rivals do to Google what Facebook did to MySpace? - Jul 19, 2011
- Microsoft's Hotmail gets a makeover - May 19, 2010
- Bing Cashback Offer From Microsoft Helps Online Buyers To Save Money On Online Purchases - Nov 26, 2009
- Yahoo Inc Lays Off 600 Employees - Dec 15, 2010
- Google search to answer queries now - Mar 15, 2012
- Google Continues To Rule Internet Search - Aug 22, 2010
Tags: california technology, ceo steve ballmer, crunch, desert landscape, dominance, dpa, excerpts, google, hot air balloons, internet google, last thursday, michael arrington, microsoft ceo, preview version, public preview, search categories, search market, steve ballmer, technology conference, video shopping