Microsoft, Verizon in talks to launch iPhone rival: reportApril 29th, 2009 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, April 29 (Xinhua) Microsoft is in discussions with Verizon Wireless to launch a touch-screen multimedia cellphone in the US early next year in a bid to compete with Apple’s iPhone.
While Microsoft is involved in the design of the phone’s software and hardware, a third-party is expected to make the device, The Wall Street Journal reported, quoting sources close to the development.
Microsoft’s project is code-named “Pink” and the cellphone would use the software giant’s Windows Mobile operating system, the report said.
The news of a possible Microsoft-Verizon partnership came one day after another US newspaper reported that Verizon is in talks with Apple for the possible development of an iPhone for Verizon, with the goal of introducing it next year.
A deal between Apple and Verizon would mark the first time that Apple will produce a version of the iPhone for a CDMA wireless network, USA Today had reported earlier.
AT&T, whose wireless network uses GSM technology, now has exclusive US distribution rights to the iPhone. AT&T’s exclusive rights will expire next year, but analysts said the company may try to persuade Apple to extend the contract for at least another year.
- Apple making new iPhone for Verizon - Oct 07, 2010
- Verizon iPhone: How Will It Affect The Users? - Jan 12, 2011
- Apple to launch smaller iPhone - Feb 11, 2011
- Apple Launches iPhone On Verizon, AT&T Retorts - Jan 12, 2011
- Verizon iPhone: Possible Repercussions On Cell Phone Industry - Jan 09, 2011
- Verizon to market iPhone soon in the US - Oct 10, 2010
- Verizon iPhone Launch No Longer A Rumor? - Jan 08, 2011
- Microsoft to launch social networking phone in US - Mar 06, 2010
- Verizon Announces iPhone Coming On Its Network, Users Excited - Jan 12, 2011
- Cheaper smaller 'iPhone Nano' in the pipeline - Feb 11, 2011
- Verizon, AT&T; crucial to BlackBerry tablet sales - Apr 22, 2011
- Verizon Wireless to introduce tiered data plan in next four to six months - Sep 24, 2010
- Apple iPhone 5 Speculations Running Riot - Jan 12, 2011
- Google, HTC and Verizon set to challenge iPad - Aug 19, 2010
- Verizon iPhone Announcement May Come on Jan 11 - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: apple, april 29, cdma, distribution rights, iphone, microsoft, network usa, operating system, partnership, quoting sources, san francisco, software giant, third party, touch screen multimedia, usa today, verizon, verizon wireless, wall street, wall street journal, xinhua