Microsoft unveils new Internet search engineMay 29th, 2009 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, May 29 (Xinhua) Microsoft has unveiled a new search engine named Bing, renewing its efforts to challenge the dominance of Google in the Internet search market.
The company said the new service will begin to roll out over the coming days and will be fully deployed worldwide June 3.
“Today, search engines do a decent job of helping people navigate the web and find information, but they don’t do a very good job of enabling people to use the information they find,” Steve Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive officer, said in a statement.
“Bing is an important first step forward in our long-term effort to deliver innovations in search that enable people to find information quickly and use the information they’ve found to accomplish tasks and make smart decisions,” he added.
Microsoft said the Bing service, billed by the company as a Decision Engine, will initially focus on shopping, travel, local business and information, and health-related research - areas in which people want more assistance in making key decisions.
The software giant still has a long way to go to increase its share in the search market.
According to latest analysis by market research firm comScore, in April this year, Google led the US search market with 64.2 percent of the searches conducted, followed by Yahoo with 20.4 percent, with Microsoft a distant third with 8.2 percent.
- Microsoft launches TV campaign to challenge Google - Sep 07, 2012
- Yahoo's search migrates to Microsoft - Aug 25, 2010
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Bing to integrate social networking with search results - May 11, 2012
- Nielsen: Bing is the Number 2 Search Engine in the US, Yahoo is number 3rd - Sep 15, 2010
- Microsoft, Yahoo join forces to challenge Google (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo taps former Google executive as CEO - Jul 17, 2012
- Google Continues To Rule Internet Search - Aug 22, 2010
- Microsoft's Bing search engine aims to rival Google - Jun 02, 2009
- Yahoo, Microsoft link up in challenge to Google (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo Inc Lays Off 600 Employees - Dec 15, 2010
- Google, Bing sidelining Yahoo in search market - Dec 18, 2009
- Will rivals do to Google what Facebook did to MySpace? - Jul 19, 2011
- Google launches custom tailored search feature - Aug 13, 2011
- Google search to answer queries now - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: chief executive officer, comscore, decent job, decision engine, dominance, good job, google, health related research, internet search engine, june 3, market research firm, research areas, search engines, search market, shopping travel, smart decisions, software giant, steve ballmer, term effort, xinhua