Microsoft set to unveil Internet Explorer 8March 19th, 2009 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Redmond, March 19 (IANS) After two beta tests and a soft release, Microsoft Corp is all set to officially launch its latest internet browser Thursday night.
The company will launch Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) at 9:30 p.m. Indian time, an official statement said.
Microsoft, whose share in the browser market took a beating with the emergence of rivals like Mozilla’s Firefox, Google’s Chrome and Apple’s Safari, is aiming to regain its lost ground with the new browser.
Microsoft’s market share dropped to about 67 percent last month as compared to over 90 percent three years ago.
IE8 can be freely downloaded in 25 languages from Microsoft’s website, the company said.
The browser will include features like “accelerators,” which allow users to highlight text on a website and choose from a variety of functions, including search engines, language translation or map displays and “InPrivate View” wherein users will be able to browse without leaving any traces like history or cookies behind
IE, being bundled as the default browser of the Windows Operating system, has helped the company achieve the strong market share it now enjoys. However, Microsoft has been in the dock for the same.
European regulators said in January that Microsoft was in breach of anti-trust rules by bundling IE with its Windows operating system.
Meanwhile, rumours have also surfaced in the blogosphere that this might be the last version of IE Microsoft will release before pulling the plug on its browser business.
Microsoft has not made any plans public about its browser development beyond IE8, but maintains that it is committed to the browser business.
- Microsoft announces automatic upgrades for Internet Explorer - Dec 16, 2011
- Google Chrome is third most popular browser - Aug 01, 2011
- IE 9 Public Beta Ready For Release, But Can It Beat Google Chrome? - Aug 22, 2010
- Firefox plots system to stop firms from tracking you online - Dec 01, 2010
- The IE9 Beta gets launched - Sep 21, 2010
- Google Chrome is giving Firefox a tough compition. - Sep 23, 2010
- Now internet users can watch who is spying on them - Mar 02, 2012
- Mozilla Firefox gets patched for stability - Sep 22, 2010
- Rise of Google Chrome threatens Internet Explorer, Mozilla - Oct 10, 2010
- Google Chrome 6 Vs Firefox 4 Beta: Grand Showdown! - Aug 22, 2010
- Firefox 3.6 released - why bother? - Jan 22, 2010
- Russian internet users double - Sep 24, 2011
- Adult sites use bug to track user's browsing history - Dec 03, 2010
- Google to ditch support for older Internet browsers - Jun 07, 2011
- Firefox 3.6 to be released tomorrow - why bother? - Jan 21, 2010
Tags: accelerators, beta tests, blogosphere, browser development, browser market, browser microsoft, default browser, google, ie8, indian time, internet browser, internet explorer 8, language translation, microsoft corp, s market, search engines, strong market, trust rules, which allow users, windows operating system