Microsoft co-founder to donate fortune to charityJuly 16th, 2010 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, July 16 (DPA) Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has pledged to donate the majority of his $13.5 billion fortune to charity.
Allen’s pledge came just weeks after his former business partner, Bill Gates, and legendary investor Warren Buffet both called on other billionaires to commit to giving away at least half their fortunes.
“I want to announce that my philanthropic efforts will continue after my lifetime,” said Allen, who has already given about $1 billion to charity over the years.
“I’ve planned for many years now that the majority of my estate will be left to philanthropy to continue the work of the foundation and fund non-profit scientific research.”
“As our philanthropy continues in the years ahead, we will look for new opportunities to make a difference in the lives of future generations,” said Allen, 57, in the statement.
Allen is the 37th richest man in the world, with $13.5 billion in assets, according to Forbes magazine. He founded Microsoft together with Gates in 1975 and left the company in 1983.
Allen was diagnosed in November with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and began chemotherapy.
“Paul has finished his treatments and as of now has no current medical issues,” said David Postman, a spokesman for Vulcan Inc, Allen’s investment group.
- Mexico's Carlos Slim tops Forbes' richest list - Mar 08, 2012
- Gates, Buffet in Indian capital with their 'Giving Pledge' - Mar 24, 2011
- Facebook founders pledge to give away wealth to charity - Dec 10, 2010
- Paul Allen Undergoing Chemotherapy For 'Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma' - Nov 17, 2009
- Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen diagnosed with cancer - Nov 17, 2009
- Two IITians among 400 richest Americans - Sep 22, 2011
- India's rich keen to give back to society: Buffet, Gates - Mar 25, 2011
- Making, giving money similar tasks to me: Bill Gates (Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- 40 US billionaires pledge to donate to charity - Aug 05, 2010
- World's richest man against pledging his fortune to charity - Aug 07, 2010
- Bill Gates Holds On To Top Spot On Forbes 400 - Sep 23, 2010
- Billionaires sign up to donate fortune (Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
- Billionaire philanthropists to focus on societal development - Jun 02, 2012
- Kudos to 38 US Billionaires who have promised to at least give half of their wealth away - Oct 21, 2010
- Mark Zuckerberg & Dustin Moskovitz pledge half of their fortunes to charity - Dec 11, 2010
Tags: bill gates, billionaires, business partner, charity allen, chemotherapy, co founder, david postman, forbes magazine, future generations, hodgkin s lymphoma, investment group, lymphoma, medical issues, new opportunities, non hodgkin s lymphoma, paul allen, philanthropic efforts, richest man in the world, vulcan inc, warren buffet