Micromax appoints new CEODecember 27th, 2011 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 27 (IANS) Domestic handset manufacturer Micromax Tuesday said it has appointed Deepak Mehrotra as its chief executive officer (CEO) to firm up its leadership position in the market.
“At the helm of affairs will now be Deepak Mehrotra, joining as the new Micromax CEO. His last assignment in Bharti was as the operations director, mobility business, handling a large part of the country,” the company said in a statement.
The company has also appointed senior officials from Sony Ericsson and HTC as well and now plans to have two separate divisions, the feature phone division to be led by Khaja Muzaffarullah who was earlier with Sony Ericsson and smartphone division to be headed by Ajay Sharma, formerly with HTC.
“The new team brings with them wealth of experience by virtue of their long-standing association and in-depth understanding of the overall mobility market globally,” Micromax executive director Rahul Sharma said.
In the next two years, as India gears up become the largest mobile market, Micromax aims to double its reach as well and strengthen its distribution network.
“These are exciting times not only for the brand but for the industry as a whole. The Indian mobile industry is growing at a rate of 12 percent and we would like to capture this opportunity and drive the next phase of growth for the brand,” Mehrotra said.
Commenting about the potential of smartphones, Ajay Sharma said: “Micromax would aspire a 10 percent of the market share at the earliest.”
- India's mobile phone users spoilt for choice - Jun 05, 2011
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
- Sony to acquire Ericsson's stake in joint venture for $1.47 bn - Oct 27, 2011
- Sony Ericsson launches Xperia Arc, Play in India - Apr 07, 2011
- HTC launches Sensation smartphone in India - Jun 16, 2011
- Taiwan's Mediatek brings Facebook to entry level phones - Nov 08, 2011
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- P. Balaji new Nokia India vice president, managing director - Jul 13, 2012
- HTC One S launched in India - Jun 21, 2012
- Mobile device sales in India to reach 231 mn - Nov 22, 2011
- India's mobile handsets sales cross 50 mn in Jan-March - Jul 03, 2012
- Indian mobile handsets market grows 10 percent in 2011 - Mar 01, 2012
- Smartphone makers try to outdo each other at MWC - Feb 27, 2012
- Google Inc. working with less known handset makers to target middle class Indians - Oct 12, 2010
- Now a mobile that drives away mosquitoes - Dec 24, 2009
Tags: ceo, chief executive officer, distribution network, executive director, feature phone, gears, helm, htc, last assignment, leadership position, market share, mehrotra, mobile industry, mobile market, New Delhi, operations director, senior officials, smartphones, sony ericsson, virtue