Michael Phelps receives warm welcome in LondonAugust 25th, 2008 - 1:28 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, August 25 (ANI): Golden boy Michael Phelps was greeted by an estimated 40,000 people as he marked Beijing’’s handover of the Summer Games in the next host city, London.
The crowd had gathered in front of Buckingham Palace for the Visa London 2012 party after the Beijing Olympics came to an end.
While on stage, the swimmer who won a record-breaking eight gold medals in Beijing talked about his joyful experience during the games.
“It was the perfect week, the perfect races couldn”t ask for anything else,” People magazine quoted him as saying.
Along with Phelps appearance, there took place free concerts throughout the day.
The London crowd also watched the closing ceremony for the Beijing Olympics during which David Beckham, Jimmy Page and Leona Lewis contributed to the handover segment.
The Red Arrows team of nine jets performed a fly-by overhead, leaving trails of red, white and blue smoke above Buckingham Palace, before Phelps left the stage.
“Too cool. I”ve never seen something like that before,” he said.
As regards what the Games might be like in 2012, Phelps said: “Hard to imagine, but this is a great start. It’’s going to be amazing. I”m kind of at a loss for words because I was like, ”Oh, you know, I wonder how many people are going to be there.” I”m staring down this street of people just packed together. It’’s one of the coolest things I”ve ever experienced.” (ANI)
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Federer expects Olympics to be something special - Jul 23, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic gatecrasher now hogs limelight in virtual world (Olympic diary) - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012