Mexico’s central bank sells $281 mn to ease volatilityJuly 25th, 2012 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, July 25 (IANS/EFE) The Banco de Mexico said it auctioned off $281 million on the domestic market to reduce volatility in the exchange rate of the peso, which hit 14 per US dollar in June.
A total of $400 million was auctioned off Monday morning, of which $281 million was purchased at a “pondered price” of 13.56 pesos per dollar, the central bank said in a statement posted on its web site.
The US dollar was trading at 13.73 pesos Wednesday on the interbank market, after trading at 13.34 last Friday.
Since 2008, the central bank has had an auction mechanism in place totaling $400 million that is activated whenever the Mexican peso drops by 2 percent relative to the exchange rate the previous day.
Dollar auctions were reduced to $300 million in March 2009 and to $250 million in May of that year. They were suspended in April 2010 and resumed last November.
The central bank also implemented an options system for commercial banks to sell dollars to it in an effort to reduce dollar liquidity in the market.
The goal is to reduce uncertainty about lack of liquidity in the market that could cause sharp drops in the value of the peso, preventing macroeconomic contagion from spreading.
- Mexico to auction dollars to prop up peso - Dec 01, 2011
- Mexico's 2011 growth outlook improves - Dec 02, 2011
- Mexico issues 1 kg commemorative gold coin - Sep 18, 2012
- Mexican central bank warns of risks arising from Europe, US - Oct 27, 2011
- Moody's cuts credit ratings of 16 Spanish banks - May 19, 2012
- Mexican farmers to sell commodities on futures market - Aug 02, 2012
- Mexican remittances go up - Aug 02, 2012
- Argentine president inherits $6.8 mn - Aug 08, 2012
- Remittances to Mexico rise - May 03, 2012
- Mexico's foreign reserves rise - Apr 04, 2012
- Spanish economy back in recession - Apr 24, 2012
- 15 tonnes of synthetic drugs burnt in Mexico - Feb 20, 2012
- Brazilian financial institution to buy US bank - Apr 26, 2011
- Remittances to Honduras increases - Jul 17, 2012
- Spanish economy expected to shrink in 2012 - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: auction, banco de mexico, commercial banks, contagion, dollar auctions, efe, exchange rate, interbank market, last friday, last november, liquidity, mexican peso, mexico city, monday morning, s central, uncertainty, volatility