Mexico receives $13.4 bn in foreign investmentNovember 25th, 2011 - 10:55 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Nov 25 (IANS/EFE) Mexico attracted $13.4 billion in foreign direct investment during the first nine months of 2011, down 6.5 percent from the same period of last year, the Economy Secretariat said.
In the third quarter (July-September), FDI flows came in at just under $2.6 billion.
The FDI figure for all of 2010 was revised upward to $19.8 billion, an 11.6 percent increase over the previously reported figure, the secretariat said.
All of the data released Wednesday is preliminary and subject to later revision by the companies responsible for the FDI, the secretariat said.
The investment received from January to September 2011 came from 3,558 companies with foreign capital.
The FDI flows were concentrated in the manufacturing sector and the financial services and insurance sector, which accounted for 41.5 percent and 18.3 percent of the total, respectively, while the rest went to retail and wholesale, mass media, construction, mining and other sectors.
By country, the main sources of FDI were the US, with 65.5 percent of the total, followed by Spain (13.2 percent), Switzerland (9.4 percent), Japan (2.6 percent) and Canada (1.4 percent).
- FDI falls in Mexico - May 24, 2012
- Foreign direct investment in Mexico goes down - Aug 25, 2011
- Mexico's economy grows 4.5 percent in third quarter - Nov 23, 2011
- Foreign investment in Brazil quadrupled in five years - Dec 16, 2011
- Mergers and acquisitions drop 41.5 percent in 9 months - Oct 07, 2011
- Auto production hits record level in Mexico - Oct 18, 2011
- Brazilian government sees economy expanding through 2014 - Feb 14, 2012
- Mexican oil firm ends 2011 with net loss of $6.5 bn - Mar 01, 2012
- Mexico's economy grew in 2011 - Feb 17, 2012
- Mexican remittances go up - Aug 02, 2012
- Mexico's 2011 growth outlook improves - Dec 02, 2011
- Mexico's tourism activity grows - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazil's economy grows at fastest clip in 15 months - Aug 18, 2012
- Mexico to invest $250 mn in disaster insurance - Mar 05, 2012
- US Q3 growth revised downward - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: bn, canada, economy secretariat, efe, fdi flows, financial services, first nine months, foreign direct investment, foreign investment, insurance, insurance sector, japan, manufacturing sector, mass media, mexico city, secretariat, sectors, spain, switzerland, wholesale