Mexico makes large offshore oil findAugust 30th, 2012 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Aug 30 (IANS/EFE) Mexican state-owned oil giant Petroleos Mexicanos, or Pemex, has made a large deep-water light crude discovery in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of the northeastern state of Tamaulipas, President Felipe Calderon said Wednesday.
Calderon did not quantify how much the Trion 1 exploration well might produce but Pemex sources say they expect to certify 350 million barrels of crude from the find and that total reserves at deposits in Mexico’s Perdido Fold Belt - where the discovery was made - could amount to as much as 10 billion barrels.
The oil discovery - which was made with the Bicentenario rig and is the first in Mexico’s deep-water region - is an “important achievement” that “further strengthens” Pemex, Calderon said in a ceremony at the Los Pinos presidential residence.
“It is moreover estimated that this deposit could belong to one of the most important deep-water zones in the Gulf of Mexico. That entire zone, this oil system (Perdido), could have the potential to produce … from 4-10 billion barrels of crude oil,” the president said.
Pemex, the world’s fourth-largest crude producer at 2.5 million barrels per day, is one of the few oil firms worldwide that handles all aspects of the productive chain, from exploration to distribution and the marketing of end products.
- Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projects - Apr 13, 2012
- 26 die in Mexican gas plant blast, fire (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Mexican firm ordered to clean up oil spill - Aug 25, 2012
- Venezuela confirms start-up of oil exploration off Cuba - Sep 06, 2012
- Mexican oil giant sells $327 mn in bonds - Mar 14, 2012
- Mexican oil giant needs $25 bn in annual investment - Feb 08, 2012
- Mexican oil firm posts nearly $25 bn surplus in 2011 - Feb 01, 2012
- Mexican firm launches LPG auction - Oct 14, 2011
- Mexico's oil output falls in 2009 - Oct 25, 2009
- Mexican oil firm ends 2011 with net loss of $6.5 bn - Mar 01, 2012
- Colombian firm makes oil find - Aug 17, 2012
- Brazilian oil giant makes new deep-water find - Jul 13, 2012
- Mexican oil giant to spend $24 mn to repair pipeline - Dec 21, 2011
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Petrobras finds oil signs during deepwater exploration - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,