Mexico City to offer multimodal transit system cardsAugust 14th, 2012 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Aug 14 (IANS/EFE) A new multimodal transit system card will allow riders to seamlessly pay for Metro and Metrobus service, said authorities.
The Federal District Card, or TDF, will be similar to the Calypso system being used in Hong Kong, Quebec, London, Lisbon, Paris and Venice.
The cards will cost 15 pesos ($1.15) and allow the transit system to carry riders more efficiently.
“Nearly 19 million pesos ($1.45 million) was invested to upgrade the software and hardware of the Collective Metro System (SCM) and 2 million cards are already prepared for sale,” said a statement.
Mexico City officials, however, did not say when the new system would go into operation, noting only that the change would come “in the next few weeks”.
More than 8 million people live in Mexico City and a total of some 20 million people live in the capital’s metropolitan area.
- Mexico's central bank sells $281 mn to ease volatility - Jul 25, 2012
- Mexico to get its first marine research vessel - Sep 08, 2012
- Drought reduces Mexico's agricultural production - Feb 14, 2012
- Mexican authorities promote bicycles to reduce pollution - Feb 18, 2010
- 15 tonnes of synthetic drugs burnt in Mexico - Feb 20, 2012
- Mexican farmers to sell commodities on futures market - Aug 02, 2012
- Mexico to auction dollars to prop up peso - Dec 01, 2011
- Mexico to invest $250 mn in disaster insurance - Mar 05, 2012
- Mexican government paid $10 mn for TV series glorifying cops - Jul 15, 2011
- Spend more on fighting deforestation: Greenpeace tells Mexico - Oct 20, 2011
- Mexico raises minimum wage - Dec 12, 2011
- Number of poor in Mexico climbs by 3.2 mn - Jul 30, 2011
- School fees now deductible from income tax in Mexico - Feb 16, 2011
- Mexico's foreign reserves rise - Apr 04, 2012
- Mexican oil giant to spend $24 mn to repair pipeline - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: authorities, calypso system, cards mexico, city officials, efe, hong kong, lisbon, london, metro system, metrobus service, metropolitan area, mexico city, paris, quebec, scm, system cards, transit system, venice