Mexico asks Burger King to pull ‘derogatory’ adApril 15th, 2009 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, April 15 (EFE) Mexico has slammed the US fast-food giant Burger King for using the “derogatory image” of the country’s national flag in its new advertising campaign in Spain.
The Mexican envoy to Spain has sent a letter to the fast-food giant asking it to pull out the advertising campaign, which has insulted Mexico and its citizens.
“It seems to us a vulgar advertising campaign and one that above all denigrates our patriotic symbols,” particularly the flag, Jorge Zermeno, currently visiting his own country, told EFE Tuesday.
According to the diplomat, the advertising associated with Burger King’s new Texican Whopper also presents “a stereotype of Mexicans” that is divorced from reality.
The ads show “a US cowboy next to a supposed Mexican wearing Mexico’s national flag like a serape, with the national coat of arms and a wrestler’s mask”, Zermeno said.
The diplomat recalled that in his country there is a special ruling on the “proper use” of patriotic symbols, including the tricolour flag.
Zermeno said that he had already sent a letter to the director general of Burger King in Spain, Elias Diaz Seses, asking him to “withdraw the advertising” because it offends “Mexico and Mexicans.”
The diplomat has also threatened to take legal action against the company if the advertisement is not withdrawn immediately.
In October 2007, Mexican singer Paulina Rubio sparked a heated controversy by posing half-naked wrapped in a national flag for a weekly publication in Spain. The actress was fined $4,900 for the act.
- Burger King apologises to Hindus for offensive ad - Jul 09, 2009
- Gloria Trevi presents second single of new album - May 10, 2011
- 3 die in Mexican plane crash - Nov 01, 2011
- Burger King releases 7 patty whooper - Oct 25, 2009
- Burger King's 'Pizza Burger' has a whooping 2500 calories - Aug 23, 2010
- American human trafficker arrested in Tijuana, Mexico - Feb 26, 2010
- Mexican writer Carlos Fuentes is dead - May 16, 2012
- Burger King's NY Pizza Burger is waistline buster at 2,520 calories - Aug 19, 2010
- Dating service uses philandering Mexican politician's image - Jun 08, 2012
- McDonald's fined in Brazil for including toys in kids' meals - Dec 07, 2011
- Burger King to launch 'Pizza Burger' with 2,520-calorie! - Aug 23, 2010
- Don Omar, Prince Royce big winners at Billboard Latin awards - Apr 28, 2012
- Burger King launches '1160-calorie Meat Monster' in Japan - Apr 13, 2011
- Beckham joins Burger King campaign - Apr 07, 2012
- Pilot arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: advertising campaign, burger king, coat of arms, diplomat, director general, efe, elias diaz, food giant, giant burger, mexican singer, mexicans, mexico city, national flag, new advertising, patriotic symbols, paulina rubio, serape, stereotype, texican, whopper