Mexican tequila production rises in 2010January 21st, 2011 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Jan 21 (IANS/EFE) Mexico’s production of tequila, the country’s best-known alcoholic beverage, rose 3.37 percent in 2010 compared with the previous year to 257.4 million liters, the Tequila Regulatory Council, or CRT, said Thursday.Consumption of agave (the plant used to make tequila) topped the 1-million-tonne barrier for the third time in Mexico’s history, the CRT said.
During the economic crisis of 2009, consumption of the plant - on which thousands of Mexican farmers depend for their livelihoods - fell to 924,800 tonnes.
According to the CRT, 2010 was a year of “recovery” for the tequila industry after a “critical” 2009, with tequila exports climbing 11.58 percent to 152.2 million liters.
The biggest increase was seen in 100 percent agave tequila (the purest form of the beverage), exports of which climbed to 47.8 million liters last year, up 27.8 percent from 2009.
The main foreign market for Mexican tequila continued to be the US, which imported 118.4 million liters in 2010, an increase of 9.42 percent relative to the previous year.
After the US, the biggest importers of Mexican tequila by country were Germany, 7.8 million liters; Spain, 3.5 million liters; France, 2.6 million liters; Canada, 2.3 million liters; and Britain, 1.3 million liters.
The CRT said Mexico currently has 253 million blue agave plants, which take eight years to reach maturity and are the only ones used to make tequila.
Made up of agave growers and tequila producers, bottlers and marketers, the CRT is a non-governmental organization founded in 1994 to verify and certify tequila quality and promote a culture of consumption and production of that alcoholic beverage.
- Get high on a trip to tequila haven - Feb 06, 2011
- Bill Gates buys stake in Mexican company - Mar 18, 2011
- Rival in feni's backyard - an Indian tequila - May 01, 2011
- Mexico set auto production record in 2011 - Jan 12, 2012
- Remittances to Mexico rise - May 03, 2012
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- Successful biofuel flight conducted in Mexico - Apr 03, 2011
- Mexican remittances rise - Jul 03, 2012
- Mexican tequila mogul dies - Mar 22, 2012
- Mexico registers $312 mn trade surplus - Jul 24, 2010
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- Number of poor in Mexico climbs by 3.2 mn - Jul 30, 2011
- New Mexican mine to produce 283 tonnes of silver - Jul 14, 2011
- Nissan to build new $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jan 27, 2012
- Mexico's industrial production rises - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: alcoholic beverage, blue agave plants, bottlers, canada 2, crt, economic crisis, efe, france 2, jan 21, liters, livelihoods, mexican farmers, mexican tequila, mexico city, non governmental organization, plant used to make tequila, purest form, tequila production, tequila regulatory council, time in mexico