Mexican oil giant needs $25 bn in annual investmentFebruary 8th, 2012 - 1:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Feb 8 (IANS/EFE) State-owned oil giant Petroleos Mexicanos, or Pemex, will “require annual investment and acquisitions” for its operations “exceeding 320 billion pesos (nearly $25.2 billion)” over the next few years, CEO Juan Jose Suarez Coppel said Tuesday.
The Pemex chief spoke during the opening session of a company-sponsored event in Mexico City that was also attended by Energy Secretary Jordy Herrera and other high-level officials.
Pemex has implemented new and more modern contracting procedures since the 2008 energy industry reforms were implemented that “have already started to produce results that are being translated into substantial savings” for the company, giving it “greater agility and efficiency in purchasing”, Suarez Coppel said.
Pemex’s subsidiaries, for example, have achieved 1.75 billion pesos (nearly $138 million) in cost savings from the provision of services to offshore platforms, resulting in a 7 percent reduction in total costs since 2010, the executive said.
The oil company saved 481.9 million pesos ($38 million) on the acquisition of six tankers last year, Suarez Coppel said.
Pemex is becoming “a highly competitive, safe and sustainable company”, thanks to the steps being taken, the CEO said.
“Good results are being obtained” from the new contracting practices, which are aimed at turning Pemex into a “more prosperous and competitive” company, Herrera said.
“Pemex is undergoing a deep transformation process” that is changing its procedures in an effort to promote best practices based on international standards, the energy secretary said.
- Mexican oil giant to spend $24 mn to repair pipeline - Dec 21, 2011
- Mexican oil giant sells $327 mn in bonds - Mar 14, 2012
- Mexican oil firm ends 2011 with net loss of $6.5 bn - Mar 01, 2012
- Mexico makes large offshore oil find - Aug 30, 2012
- Mexican oil firm posts nearly $25 bn surplus in 2011 - Feb 01, 2012
- Mexican firm inks floating hotels deal in Spain - Sep 20, 2012
- 26 die in Mexican gas plant blast, fire (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Investigation continues into deadly Mexico pipeline blast - Dec 22, 2010
- Mexican firm launches LPG auction - Oct 14, 2011
- Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Mexico arrests two Chinese executives on bribery charges - Dec 15, 2010
- Mexican firm ordered to clean up oil spill - Aug 25, 2012
- Bottling firm to invest $1.1 bn in Colombia, Brazil - Mar 01, 2012
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Wind to account for 15 percent of Mexico's electricity mix - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: agility, bn, city feb, company thanks, coppel, energy industry, energy secretary, jordy, jose suarez, level officials, mexico city, offshore platforms, oil company, oil giant, pemex, petroleos mexicanos, provision of services, substantial savings, sustainable company, tankers