Mexican firm inks floating hotels deal in SpainSeptember 20th, 2012 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Santiago de Compostela (Spain), Sep 20 (IANS/EFE) Mexican state oil monopoly Petroleos Mexicanos signed a 300-million-euro ($392 million) deal Wednesday for the construction of two floating hotels, or flotels, at shipyards in northwestern Spain.
The president of the autonomous community of Galicia, Alberto Nunez Feijoo, who presided over the signing ceremony, said the deal stems from commitments made by Pemex in May to build several ships in that region.
The contracts were signed by Jose Manuel Carrera, head of Pemex Internacional Espana; Ramon Aguirre Rodriguez, president of the Sepi industrial holding company that owns state-owed Spanish shipbuilder Navantia; and Jose Garcia Costa, president of Spanish private shipyard Barreras.
The two flotels will be identical, both measuring 131 meters in length with a 27-meter beam and a deadweight of 7,000 tonnes. They will be able to travel at a maximum speed of 12 knots and have the capacity to house 600 oil workers.
They are to be delivered in a period of 30 months and the start of construction is imminent.
According to Nunez, the two flotels to be built in shipyards in the cities of Ferrol and Vigo will “guarantee employment for more than two years to a total of 3,000 people”.
Feijoo thanked Pemex for “not disappointing expectations” and said Galicia has great hopes for the world’s No. 4 oil company.
He added that Pemex’s “orders for 14 tugs remain on course”, seven of which are to be built entirely in Galicia and another seven “between Galicia and Mexican shipyards”.
- Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Mexican oil giant sells $327 mn in bonds - Mar 14, 2012
- Mexico makes large offshore oil find - Aug 30, 2012
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- 26 die in Mexican gas plant blast, fire (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Mexican firm launches LPG auction - Oct 14, 2011
- New Google service allows virtual pilgrimage - Nov 11, 2009
- Mexican oil giant needs $25 bn in annual investment - Feb 08, 2012
- Mexican oil firm posts nearly $25 bn surplus in 2011 - Feb 01, 2012
- Mexican firm ordered to clean up oil spill - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: autonomous community, deadweight, feijoo, ferrol, galicia, jose garcia, maximum speed, meter beam, navantia, northwestern spain, oil monopoly, oil workers, pemex, petroleos mexicanos, santiago de compostela, santiago de compostela spain, shipbuilder, shipyards, signing ceremony, state oil