Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projectsApril 13th, 2012 - 11:04 am ICT by IANS
Havana, April 13 (IANS/EFE) Mexican President Felipe Calderon said his country’s state-owned oil company, Petroleos Mexicanos, is considering participating and investing in crude and natural gas exploration and production projects in Cuban territorial waters.
He commented at the end of his first official visit to the island, where he reached agreements to boost bilateral trade and investment, as well as bi-national cooperation in health, education, culture and sports.
On the energy front, Pemex and Cuban counterpart Cupet signed a “non-binding letter of intent” to evaluate the Mexican company’s possible direct participation in oil exploration and production in Cuba’s Exclusive Economic Zone in the southeastern Gulf of Mexico.
Calderon, whose term expires late this year, said before departing Cuba that Pemex was considering participating in blocks contiguous to Mexico’s exclusive zone in the Gulf of Mexico, “always with full respect for both countries’ sovereignty”.
Cuba’s EEZ covers some 112,000 sq. km and is divided into 59 blocks, 22 of which have been awarded to foreign companies such as Spain’s Repsol-YPF, Venezuela’s PDVSA and PetroVietnam.
- Cuba estimates 2011 oil, gas output at four mn tonnes - Dec 22, 2011
- Venezuela confirms start-up of oil exploration off Cuba - Sep 06, 2012
- Mexico makes large offshore oil find - Aug 30, 2012
- 26 die in Mexican gas plant blast, fire (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Mexican firm launches LPG auction - Oct 14, 2011
- Mexican oil giant sells $327 mn in bonds - Mar 14, 2012
- Venezuela, Cuba sign oil exploration treaty - Apr 23, 2010
- Mexican firm ordered to clean up oil spill - Aug 25, 2012
- Russia to prospect for oil in Cuba - Nov 05, 2009
- Argentine oil firm made $3 bn investments in 2011 - Feb 09, 2012
- Mexican oil firm posts nearly $25 bn surplus in 2011 - Feb 01, 2012
- Mexican firm inks floating hotels deal in Spain - Sep 20, 2012
- Latin America - Energising India (Comment) - Jun 21, 2012
- Mexican oil giant needs $25 bn in annual investment - Feb 08, 2012
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: bilateral trade, binding letter, economic zone, education culture, eez, exploration and production, gulf of mexico, mexican president felipe calderon, national cooperation, natural gas exploration, oil exploration, oil projects, pdvsa, pemex, petroleos mexicanos, petrovietnam, president felipe calderon, production projects, repsol ypf, territorial waters