Mexican billionaire Slim invests in Colombian oil industryFebruary 24th, 2011 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Feb 24 (IANs/EFE) Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim’s Grupo Carso is acquiring a 70 percent stake in Tabasco Oil Company, which is involved in oil exploration and production in Colombia, the conglomerate said.Grupo Carso, which has interests in a number of industrial and other businesses, reached an agreement to buy the stake in Tabasco Oil Company from Mexico’s Geoprocesados, the conglomerate said in a filing with the Mexican Stock Exchange.
The stake in Tabasco Oil Company “marks the entry of Grupo Carso into a new business sector in Latin America”, the conglomerate said.
Tabasco Oil Company focuses on the exploration, production and marketing of oil in Latin America, where it currently has rights to explore and produce crude in Colombia’s section LLA 56, a project still in the exploration phase, Grupo Carso said.
Geoprocesados has been working as a contractor for state-owned Pemex Exploration and Production for 10 years, processing seismic information.
The company is responsible for quality control of seismic data obtained for all of Pemex’s onshore and offshore units.
Slim provides services to Pemex via his Sweecomex unit, which builds platforms for the Mexican state-owned oil giant.
Slim, who is ranked by Forbes magazine as the wealthiest person in the world, said Jan 31 that he planned to invest $8.3 billion in companies he owns in 19 countries.
“We are going to invest where we are behind and in the big countries, where more resources are needed, like Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Chile (and) Argentina,” Slim said.
- 26 die in Mexican gas plant blast, fire (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Mexican oil firm posts nearly $25 bn surplus in 2011 - Feb 01, 2012
- Mexican oil giant sells $327 mn in bonds - Mar 14, 2012
- Mexico makes large offshore oil find - Aug 30, 2012
- Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Mexican oil giant needs $25 bn in annual investment - Feb 08, 2012
- Colombian firm makes oil find - Aug 17, 2012
- Mexican oil giant to spend $24 mn to repair pipeline - Dec 21, 2011
- Colombian regulator approves BP asset sell-off - Dec 23, 2010
- Mexico arrests two Chinese executives on bribery charges - Dec 15, 2010
- Ecopetrol makes new oil find in Colombia - Dec 15, 2010
- Mexican firm launches LPG auction - Oct 14, 2011
- Blast at Mexican gas facility kills 26, seven still missing - Sep 20, 2012
- Bill Gates buys stake in Mexican company - Mar 18, 2011
- Mexican firm inks floating hotels deal in Spain - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: business sector, city feb, colombian oil, conglomerate, exploration and production, exploration phase, exploration production, forbes magazine, grupo carso, mexican billionaire carlos slim, mexican stock exchange, mexico city, offshore units, oil company, oil exploration, oil giant, pemex, peru chile, seismic data, wealthiest person in the world