Metro to educate commuters on safety through short filmJanuary 30th, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 30 (IANS) Two weeks after a commuter got stuck between the sliding doors of a moving Metro train, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) Monday said it will soon come out with a short film to educate passengers on the correct manner of stepping in and out of the trains to avoid mishaps.
The DMRC decision on coming out with a film came after the Jan 17 incident, when the ankle of a commuter, Sunny Kumar, got caught between the doors of a Metro train forcing him to cling on to the door till the train reached the next station. Kumar was travelling on the Dwarka Sector 21-Noida City Centre line, bound for Rajiv Chowk.
“Kumar, with presence of mind, clung on to the door (travelling almost three minutes clinging on to the door in a speeding train on an elevated track). He was rescued only at the next station, when the train stopped at Janakpuri (East). Since he clung tightly to the door, the man was unhurt when he got off the train,” a Delhi Metro official said.
The line on which the incident occurred is one of the busiest and carries almost 6 lakh passengers on an average in a day.
“After the Jan 17 freak accident, we want to educate people. So, the DMRC is coming out with a short film of two minute duration. The film will inform you on how to step in and out of the trains in a correct manner to avoid mishaps, which will be screened on TVs at Metro stations. The film advises passengers to stay away from the train doors,” a Delhi Metro official said.
The film will also ask passengers not to interfere with the door closing operation by obstructing it or putting any object in between the doors.
- Man stuck in door a freak accident, says DMRC - Jan 20, 2012
- Metro to alert passengers on approaching trains - Jan 30, 2012
- Metro commuters to get tips on safe travel - Feb 20, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- How many coaches? Metro to issue alerts (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Efforts on to minimise Metro snags, say officials - Mar 30, 2012
- Top Delhi Metro official resigns - Apr 19, 2012
- With rising ridership, Delhi Metro to have more gates - Jun 20, 2012
- Metro collects over Rs.70,000 in fines from men in women's coaches - Feb 25, 2012
- Woman gives birth to girl on Metro train (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Traffic jams: Police try to pacify commuters - Aug 14, 2011
- Two central Delhi Metro stations to close early on New Year's eve - Dec 30, 2011
- Maintainance work Sunday on Delhi Metro's Gurgaon line - Dec 17, 2010
- Metro to build two stations near airport - Sep 21, 2011
- Snag on Metro's Gurgaon line affects services, rectified (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: chowk, commuters, correct manner, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, duration, film new, freak accident, lakh, metro stations, minute duration, New Delhi, presence of mind, rajiv, short film, sliding doors, speeding train, three minutes, tvs