Metro plans extra trips on Raksha BandhanAugust 22nd, 2010 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) The Delhi Metro will run 187 extra trips to avoid overcrowding on the Raksha Bandhan festival Aug 24, an official said Sunday.
According to a Delhi Metro spokesperson, “The metro will provide extra 187 trips and the trains will run at peak hour frequency from morning 8 a.m. to 8.30 p.m. on Tuesday.”
Normally, 21 trains are withdrawn from the lines during non-peak hours hours 12.30 p.m.-4.30 p.m. But in view of the festival, these trains will be kept in service to provide 187 extra trips Aug 24.
The Delhi Metro normally witnesses a huge rush on Raksha Bandhan — about one lakh extra commuters travel every year on the festival day.
In 2009, 10.08 lakh passengers travelled on the day of the festival, which was the highest ever number of riders at that time.
Apart from additional train trips, extra manpower will be deployed at customer facilitation and ticket counters, the official said.
The metro covers 125 km and spans over 107 metro stations and, on an average, carries about 1.15 million commuters on a week day. It is expected to carry over 2 million (20 lakh) commuters once its entire network of 190 km becomes operational by September.
Raksha Bandhan is a festival popular in north India which celebrates the bond of love between brothers and sisters. Rakhi a colourful string is tied on right wrists of brothers by sisters who pray for their well being. In return, brothers promise to take care of their sisters.
- Delhi Metro plans extra trips for Raksha Bandhan - Aug 01, 2012
- Extra metro trips on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 10, 2011
- Record ridership in Delhi Metro on Raskha Bandhan - Aug 13, 2011
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Extra Metro trips on Bhai Dooj - Oct 27, 2011
- Delhi Metro to curtail services on Diwali - Oct 24, 2011
- Women to get free bus rides on Rakhi day - Aug 01, 2012
- Delhi celebrates Raksha Bandhan with fervour - Aug 02, 2012
- Traffic jams: Police try to pacify commuters - Aug 14, 2011
- Extra metro trains for trade fair - Nov 17, 2011
- Rains fail to dampen Rakhi festivities in Delhi - Aug 24, 2010
- Delhi Metro's new stretch to open Saturday - Aug 26, 2011
- Free Raksha Bandhan ride to women, kids in Haryana - Jul 31, 2012
- Delhi Metro's new stretch opens - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: brothers and sisters, commuters, delhi metro, entire network, facilitation, lakh, manpower, metro stations, New Delhi, north india, overcrowding, peak hour, peak hours, raksha bandhan, rush, spans, spokesperson, ticket counters, train trips, trains