Metro Phase III will be built by 2016May 2nd, 2012 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) Delhi Metro’s Phase III, which will connect another 103 km of the capital, will be finished by 2016, Metro chief Mangu Singh said Wednesday.
And to speed up work, Delhi Metro is providing special training for its middle-level staff and deploying more Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs).
“We realize that Phase-III shall be a very huge task to manage,” he told the media.
“On technology our officials have enough experience. But we realized that the middle level management is the backbone, so we trained 76 middle level officers in three batches at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) in Ahmedabad.”
He said he was confident that all the corridors would be completed on time by 2016.
“The civil tenders on two corridors — Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate and Jahangirpuri to Badli — have been awarded and contractors have begun work,” he said.
The design of the stations and their alignment have been finalised.
About 40 percent of Phase-III will have underground corridors. So DMRC is going for TBM, which helps in tunnelling without causing any damage to the neighbouring buildings.
In Phase III, Delhi Metro aims to link Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar, Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj, Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate and Jahangirpuri to Badli.
The Mukundpur corridor will be the longest (56 km) with 35 stations. The Janakpuri West-Munirka-Kalindi Kunj corridor will be 34 km long with 22 stations.
Delhi Metro now makes over 2,400 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days.
- Top Delhi Metro official resigns - Apr 19, 2012
- Secretariat-Kashmere Gate Metro line expected by 2015 - May 25, 2012
- Two more bridges across Yamuna in Delhi Metro Phase-III - Sep 15, 2011
- Delhi Metro to connect more hospitals - Apr 11, 2012
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Nehru Place to get second Metro station - Sep 02, 2012
- Metro Phase III gets approval - Aug 10, 2011
- Metro completes first tunnel of Phase III - Jul 26, 2012
- Efforts on to minimise Metro snags, say officials - Mar 30, 2012
- Delhi Metro kickstarts efforts to decongest Rajiv Chowk - Jan 31, 2012
- Metro to use latest technologies in phase III - May 01, 2011
- Delhi Metro to dig deeper for tunnels in third phase - Jun 15, 2011
- Metro to build two stations near airport - Sep 21, 2011
- Delhi Metro's third phase approved - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, backbone, batches, central secretariat, corridors, delhi metro, dmrc, indian institute of management, institute of management, level staff, mangu, metro chief, middle level management, neighbouring buildings, New Delhi, phase iii, secretariat, tbm, tunnel boring machines, tunnelling