Metro advised to revise fares periodicallyJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:43 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) The central government Wednesday advised metros to revise the fares periodically to offset input costs. But Delhi Metro said it had no plans to hike fares for now.
“All the state metros have been advised to periodically revise the fairs to offset the input cost such as electricity and wage rates,” the secretary in the ministry, Sudhir Krishna, told reporters here.
“There is a need to devise the rationale transport formula for fair revision which is applicable not only to Delhi Metro but all the metros,” he added.
He underlined the need for simplified and transparent fair revision system and said that metro rail projects must be financially viable.
“The fair revision should be based on the parameters like electricity tariffs and wage rates,” Krishna added.
But Delhi Metro Rail Corp (DMRC) has decided not to hike fares for now.
According to informed sources, DMRC had set up an internal committee to look into the periodical revision of fare hikes.
“The committee will evolve a general formula for periodic revisions of fares. They will not look into the possibility of any immediate fare hike or revision,” a source in DMRC told IANS.
The power rates for DMRC have been increased to Rs.5 per unit from Rs.3.80 per unit, a 31.57 percent hike.
- Delhi Metro rules out fare hike for now - Jun 28, 2012
- DMRC hikes metro fares - Nov 11, 2009
- Delhi Metro fares up 36 percent, BJP protests (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Delhi Metro fares up 36 percent (Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Faridabad to come on Delhi Metro line - Mar 25, 2012
- Underground Metro more prone to terror attacks: Sreedharan - Dec 04, 2011
- Delhi-Noida Metro opens for commuters - Nov 13, 2009
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Delhi's power tariff hike comes into effect - Jul 01, 2012
- Railway minister hints at fare hike - Nov 11, 2011
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- Delhi Metro to arrive in Noida - Nov 12, 2009
- Delhi's airport Metro may re-start late August (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2012
- Parliament panel asks railway to hike fares to ensure safety - Mar 05, 2012
- Soon, automatic top-up of Metro smart cards - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: central government, delhi metro rail, dmrc, electricity tariffs, fare hike, input costs, july 4, krishna, New Delhi, parameters, periodic revisions, periodical, rail projects, rationale, sudhir, wage rates