Met office predicts normal south-west monsoon this yearApril 23rd, 2010 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 23 (IANS) Farmers can now breathe a sigh of relief as the India Meteorological Department (IMD) Friday declared that the south-west monsoon season’s rainfall will be at least 98 percent.
“IMD’s long range forecast for the 2010 south-west monsoon season (June to September) is that the rainfall for the country as a whole is likely to be normal,” the met department said.
“Quantitatively, the monsoon season’s rainfall is likely to be 98 percent with a model error of Â± five percent. The long period average rainfall for the country as a whole for the period 1941-1990 was 89 cm,” the IMD added.
The met department said that it will update the forecast in June 2010 as part of its second stage forecast. Separate forecasts for the monthly (July and August) rainfall over the country as a whole and seasonal (June-September) rainfall over the four geographical regions of India will also be issued in the near future.
- Monsoon likely to be normal (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- India to have normal monsoon this year: Bansal - Apr 19, 2011
- India monsoon likely to be normal (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Government expects normal monsoon this year (Lead) - Apr 23, 2010
- Normal monsoon may cool high inflation - Apr 19, 2011
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh - Apr 26, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Below normal monsoon likely this year (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Less rains likely in August-September: IMD - Aug 02, 2012
- Monsoon reaches Andaman Islands - May 17, 2010
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Roundup) - Jun 05, 2012
- IMD says monsoon likely normal despite scanty rains - Jun 22, 2012
- Monsoon to be normal this year: Weather office (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: 1941, average rainfall, farmers, geographical regions, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, met office, model error, monsoon season, New Delhi, regions of india, second stage, sigh of relief, south west monsoon