Mercedes Benz rolls out 20,000th car from Pune factoryApril 9th, 2008 - 10:41 pm ICT by admin
Pune, April 9 (IANS) It was a moment of pride as the iridium silver E-Class Mercedes Benz worth 4.5 Million rolled out late Wednesday afternoon from Mercedes Benz India’s Plant here in Chikali. It was the 20,000th vehicle rolling out from the plant set up in 1995. Dr. Wilfried Aulbur, managing director and CEO of Mercedes-Benz India, said: “The car also has another unique distinction - it is the 10,000th E-Class to be sold in India.”
“We were the pioneers to open a shop here in 1995 and in such a less time we have achieved 20,000 vehicles. It sure is a great moment for us,” Suhas Kadlaskar, director of crporate affairs, Mercedes Benz India, told IANS.
On the occasion, Kadlaskar also announced sale of 1,094 cars during the first quarter of 2008. “The market for Mercedes in India is getting very strong. It is an unprecedented increase. Last year, during the same period, we sold 690 cars.”
Of the 1,094 cars sold, 208 were S-class, 288 belonged to the E-class and 574 were C-Class models.
Kadlaskar said sales in the tier-2 and tier-3 cities in India were growing consistently besides the metros. “Demand for Mercedes in cities like Pune, Mysore, Kanpur, Lucknow and Kolhapur is also picking up.”
At the Chikali factory, 4,000 cars of classes S, E and C are manufactured annually.
Other products are offered through the imported cars route as Completely Built Units. These include the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, M-Class, CL-Class and the specially popular models like the SLK-Class and the CLS-Class.
Mercedes-Benz has also forayed into the Commercial Vehicles segment in India with the ‘Actros’ truck. Targeted at mining applications in India, the Actros has been assembled at the Mercedes-Benz plant in Pune since November 2007.
Mercedes-Benz has also announced its interest in the luxury bus segment and has partnered Sutlej Motors for the creation of the bus body. The launch of the luxury buses is scheduled during 2008.
In view of future requirements, Mercedes-Benz is creating a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility at Chakan in Pune. This facility spreads across 100 acres and will produce both passenger cars as well as the commercial vehicles range of Mercedes-Benz in India.
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz India rolls out 30,000th car (With Image) - Dec 08, 2010
- Biggest Mercedes-Benz deal in a day in Aurangabad - Oct 15, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz India notches 80 percent growth - Jan 10, 2011
- Daimler rejigs trucks business in India - Jul 01, 2010
- Mercedes launches new E-class car Cabriolet - Aug 17, 2010
- Mercedes launches the new M-Class - Jan 05, 2012
- Mercedes Benz India logs record July sales - Aug 02, 2010
- Mercedes Benz India clocks 79 percent sales growth - Jul 01, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz sales soar - Apr 05, 2012
- Mercedes August sales zoom 112 percent - Sep 08, 2010
- Mercedes Benz to start finance arm - Jul 21, 2010
- Daimler to shift truck manufacturing to Tamil Nadu - Apr 18, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz recalls over 100,000 vehicles - Oct 12, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz launches its heavy duty truck in India - Sep 08, 2009
Tags: actros truck, benz s class, bus body, c class, ceo of mercedes benz, class cl, class mercedes, class models, commercial vehicles, great moment, kolhapur, launch, luxury bus, luxury buses, mercedes benz, mercedes benz india, tier 2, tier 3, unprecedented increase, wednesday afternoon