Menus, signages in Russian could be removed in GoaJuly 23rd, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 23 (IANS) Menus written only in the Russian Cyrillic script could be off restaurant tables along with foreign language signages if Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has his way.
Parrikar was responding to a query from Congress legislator Mauvin Godinho in the assembly Monday.
Godinho wanted action against “exclusive” enclaves allegedly set up by Russians and Israeli who visit Goa for long durations or have been in the state for a long time.
“I have also heard about them. Enclaves won’t be tolerated, where there is no use of local language. Hotels catering to a (certain) class of people will not be entertained. Next season if someone does that, he will not get trade licences,” Parrikar said.
Certain coastal areas in Goa, especially near the Morjim, Arambol, Calangute and Anjuna belt, have been in the news for allegedly hosting small exclusive commercial hubs which other nationals or even locals are discouraged from patronising.
Beach areas in and around Morjim Arambol, Calangute and Candolim have menus and road signages in Cyrillic script.
- Goa lawmakers slam dance bars, signages in Russian - Jul 31, 2012
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
- 'For three years, one foreigner died every week in Goa' - Mar 24, 2011
- Parrikar flip-flop: Says no illegal mining in Goa - Jul 16, 2012
- Russians, Israelis have 'occupied' Goa's coastal villages: Congress - Feb 21, 2012
- Parrikar asks armed forces to vacate land - Jul 19, 2012
- Central government to blame for illegal mining: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Corruption case against former Goa chief minister closed - May 19, 2011
- Goa home ministry to decide on loud parties - Mar 02, 2010
- Goa to spend Rs.36 crore to battle sea erosion - Jul 25, 2012
- Drug runners will shoot Goa chief minister soon: Congress legislator - Jan 12, 2010
- Goa legislators to leave early, watch cricket - Mar 29, 2011
- Parrikar given clean chit in IFFI scam case - Feb 24, 2011
- Goa to recover power dues from industrial units - Feb 22, 2011
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: anjuna, beach areas, calangute, chief minister, coastal areas, commercial hubs, cyrillic script, enclaves, foreign language, goa, legislator, locals, manohar parrikar, menus, nationals, panaji, restaurant tables, russian cyrillic, russians, trade licences