Mega container terminal for Chennai port approvedOctober 12th, 2010 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 12 (IANS) The government Tuesday approved development of a mega container terminal worth Rs.3,686 crore at Chennai port to boost exports and imports in the region and cut down on freight and shipping costs.
The decision to develop the container terminal was taken at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, said an official statement.
The terminal will be developed on a “Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer (DBFOT) basis” under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode with a concession period of 30 years, said the statement.
Quoting Shipping Minister G.K. Vasan, the statement said the private parties given the contract to develop the container terminal will invest Rs.3,125 crore, while the Chennai Port will invest Rs.561 crore.
The first phase of the project will be completed by 2013 and the full project will be completed by 2017.
After development of the container terminal, Chennai Port will compete with international ports and reduce the need for transshipment from Singapore and Colombo, said the statement, adding that the terminal can handle ultra large container vessels and deep draft vessels.
There has been sharp growth in container volume in Chennai Port in recent years. At present there are two container terminals with a capacity of 2 million TEUs (twenty equivalent unit, an unit to measure container volume).
The mega container terminal will have the capacity to handle 4 million TEUs per annum.
- Manmohan Singh to dedicate new Kerala port to nation on Feb.11 - Feb 07, 2011
- Indian ports to handle 3,130 million tonnes by 2020 - Dec 17, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal tomorrow - Feb 10, 2011
- PM to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal - Feb 11, 2011
- Chennai Port capacity to be expanded with Rs.100 billion - Jan 19, 2011
- Ennore Port's three new terminals go on stream - Jan 28, 2011
- Six PPP port projects to be sanctioned this year: Vasan - Feb 20, 2012
- Rs.750 crore sanctioned for ship repair unit in Kerala - Sep 14, 2012
- Mumbai harbour channel to be deepened, expanded for more traffic - Mar 01, 2012
- Kerala looking for private investment in mega projects - Aug 13, 2012
- Prime Minister to inaugurate Vallarpadam container terminal on February 11 - Feb 06, 2011
- Vallarpadam ICTT to be commissioned in August - May 25, 2010
- Shanghai port is world's busiest - Dec 24, 2011
- Chennai-Ennore Port road project to be done next year: Vasan - Jun 29, 2012
- India beefs up coastal security with new system - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,