Meet to discuss Rabi wheat procurementFebruary 16th, 2012 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) To find ways to enhance food procurement in view of the proposed National Food Security Bill, the government will discuss with some state secretaries wheat procurement in the Rabi (winter) marketing season 2012-13.
“Food secretaries from wheat procuring states will meet in Delhi Feb 21 to discuss the arrangements for procurement of wheat for the Rabi marketing season 2012-13,” a food ministry statement said Thursday.
Union Food Secretary B.C. Gupta will chair the meeting.
According to officials, the meeting will review state-wise estimates for procurement of wheat.
Though the production figures of wheat will be available only after the release of the second advanced estimates, state-wise arrangement of procurement on the basis of past performance will be reviewed, they said.
Last year, an all-time record wheat procurement of 283.34 lakh tonnes was made, particularly from some states like Punjab, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
Sources said increased procurement will require adequate storage space arrangements and the meeting will discuss these measures.
Besides early movement of the wheat stocks of previous years, the movement of surplus stock of Rabi season 2012-13 will also be taken up.
- Prepare for record wheat procurement, states told - Feb 21, 2012
- Government to plan rabi crop strategy - Sep 13, 2011
- Punjab seeks gunny bags for storage - Jul 08, 2012
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
- Wheat storage crunch in three states - Sep 05, 2011
- India won't be able to store another bumper crop - Apr 15, 2012
- Punjab seeks PM's intervention on food grain storage - Apr 06, 2011
- Where to stock bumper harvest? Punjab, Haryana in quandary - May 17, 2012
- Nearly 58 lakh tonnes wheat arrives in Haryana grain markets - Apr 27, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Haryana breaks all previous wheat procurement records - May 11, 2012
- FCI asked to create 15 MT additional storage capacity - Sep 16, 2011
- Price rise: Centre asks States to take up market intervention effectively - Feb 07, 2011
- Government to export two million tonnes wheat - Jul 04, 2012
- Sugar output may drop by 1 mn tonne - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: adequate storage, food ministry, food procurement, gupta, haryana, madhya pradesh, ministry statement, national food security, New Delhi, previous years, punjab, security bill, state secretaries, storage space, surplus stock, time record, union food, uttar pradesh, wheat stocks, winter marketing