Medical Marijuana Growers Become “Unionized”, Join Teamsters UnionSeptember 21st, 2010 - 1:04 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Sep 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) With labor organizations and unions facing a declining membership, the ‘Teamsters Union’, one of the country’s most storied unions has found a way to add almost 40 new members all in one month; by creating the country’s first organized marijuana grower’s union.
It is not likely that such a thing would be even considered in any other state, but in California, where marijuana laws are much more lenient, the Teamsters have decided to grow in the new industry. It is not yet known how the union will safe guard the rights of those workers who are actually committing a federal crime. Although it is legal in the state of California to grow, and sell medical marijuana, it is still against the United States Government laws.
Lou Marchetti, who was the liaison between the marijuana growers, and the Teamsters Union based in Oakland, Teamsters Local 70, stated, “I didn’t have this planned out when I became a Teamster 34 years ago, to organize marijuana workers. This is a whole new ballgame.”
The “gardeners, planters, trimmers, and cloners” who work for Marjyn Investments LLC were given a two year contract which gives them a pension, paid vacation, and health insurance. Also, the $18 dollars an hour they now receive will increase to $27.75 and hour within the next 15 months.
- States should amend laws to protect labour: Kharge - Oct 23, 2011
- Separate authority to boost tea production in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Maine man teaches legal pot growing techniques - Apr 14, 2011
- Oakland set to become 'Silicon Valley of Pot' - Jul 21, 2010
- Darjeeling Dooars, Terai tea gardens to lose over Rs.220 crore - Aug 11, 2011
- Plantation sector asks government to share social cost burden - Sep 14, 2010
- Got the munchies? Try Oakland prof's savoury cannabis recipes! - Dec 08, 2010
- South Indian commodity planters to focus on marketing - Sep 12, 2010
- Proposition 19 To Take Effect Or Receive A Setback? - Nov 02, 2010
- Tea Board simplifies registration for Assam's small growers - Mar 21, 2012
- South India planters upbeat on growth prospects - Oct 21, 2011
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- Delayed rainfall likely to affect Assam tea production - Mar 16, 2012
- Government tells planters to brace for competition from FTAs (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Indian coffee planters brewing profits - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: 15 months, ballgame, cloners, federal crime, gardeners, government laws, labor organizations, lou marchetti, marijuana grower, marijuana growers, marijuana laws, medical marijuana, planters, s union, safe guard, state of california, teamster, teamsters local 70, teamsters union, trimmers