Medha Patkar joins Anti-Posco protestJune 20th, 2011 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 20 (IANS) The anti-Posco agitation in Orissa got a boost Monday with social activist Medha Patkar joining the villagers in their protest.
Patkar visited the site of the proposed $12 billion project in the coastal district of Jagatsinghpur and extended her support to the villagers.
The villagers have formed a human barricade in the troubled Govindpur village since the past several days to prevent the entry of officials to the area for land acquisition.
Accusing the government of acquiring the land from the villagers in an undemocratic manner, Patkar said the officials should understand that land acquisition cannot happen at gun-point.
“People have the right to protest. Without the consent of the local people, how can the government acquire land? It is a gross human rights violation,” the activist told a gathering of villagers.
Posco’s proposed 12 million tonne steel plant - the largest foreign investment in India - is to come up near the port town of Paradip, about 120 km from here.
The company requires about 4,004 acres of land for the project, of which 2,900 acres is forest land.
The local administration said it has already acquired nearly half of the land required for the project.
The land acquisition was scheduled to resume Monday but authorities postponed it without citing any reason.
“We are awaiting further instructions from the government on the matter,” Additional District Magistrate S.K. Chaudhuri told IANS.
- Medha Patkar joins anti-Posco protest (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Posco land takeover to resume Saturday, protest intensifies (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Orissa halts land acquisition for Posco - Jun 21, 2011
- Niyamgiri tribals join anti-Posco protests - Jul 07, 2011
- Agnivesh joins Posco land acquisition opposition (Lead) - Jun 18, 2011
- Deadlock over Posco land acquisition continues - Jun 25, 2011
- Anti-Posco stir hots up in Orissa - Jun 11, 2011
- Orissa to resume work at Posco site - Jul 01, 2011
- Rains halt Posco land acquisition - Jun 17, 2011
- Orissa villagers observe 'Black Day' to protest Posco pact - Jun 22, 2011
- Anti-Posco agitators held, released - Jun 03, 2011
- Anti-Posco group slams Ramesh - Jun 12, 2011
- Jairam seeks peaceful land acquisition for Posco - Jun 12, 2011
- Hundreds court arrest to protest Posco (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Land acquisition for Posco to resume despite protest - May 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,