MDL-Pipavav JV put on hold: AntonySeptember 26th, 2011 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 26 (IANS) The government Monday put on hold a joint venture (JV) between defence public sector unit Mazagon Docks Limited (MDL) and private sector Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering Company Limited announced earlier this month.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony informed a ministry-related parliamentary panel that a new policy for such public-private business partnerships was under formulation and the decision on the joint venture between MDL and Pipavav would be decided after examining complaints against the partnership.
“The ministry has decided to put on hold the joint venture of Mazagon Docks Limited (MDL) till a policy on JVs is put in place by the government,” Antony told the parliamentary consultative committee meeting here.
The JV was announced Sep 12, when Pipavav intimated the Bombay Stock Exchange that its board had approved the tie-up under which MDL will work with the private sector shipyard on their shipbuilding orders.
“The ministry will study the complaints received from some private shipyards regarding the JV. The issue needs to be fully examined and settled before any forward movement takes place on this front,” he said.
Other private shipyards such as Larsen and Toubro, ABG and Bharati have questioned the JV formation and have protested the move.
Antony also said that any public-private JVs must compete for contracts and should not get them on nomination basis. “We are treading on a new path and we would like to ensure that transparency is maintained at all levels,” he added.
- Warship building in India gets boost through public-private effort - Mar 04, 2012
- Antony asks DPSUs to maintain transparency - Apr 12, 2012
- Cabinet approves guidelines for defence hardware JVs - Feb 09, 2012
- DCNS signs technology transfer deal for Scorpene subs - Jun 07, 2011
- India to issue $11 bn tender for six more submarines - Feb 16, 2011
- Vietnam navy chief seeks expansion of defence cooperation - Jun 27, 2011
- Scorpene submarines delayed by 3 years: Antony - Mar 19, 2012
- France transferring submarine technology to India - Jan 09, 2011
- 'Warship delays not linked to Mazagon Docks upgrade' - Nov 23, 2011
- DCNS, Pipavav to address India's naval needs - Jun 11, 2012
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate - Jul 21, 2012
- 26/11-terror attack brought sea change in coastal security approach: Antony - Dec 22, 2010
- Defence PSUs pay dividend cheques to Govt - Oct 08, 2009
- Defence shipyards lose out to private players: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- Govt. to encourage joint ventures in Defence - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: abg, antony, bharati, bombay stock exchange, business partnerships, committee meeting, consultative committee, defence minister, docks, engineering company, forward movement, jvs, larsen and toubro, offshore engineering, parliamentary panel, private business, private shipyards, public sector unit, shipbuilding, shipyard