Mcleod Russel’s Q1 net profit Rs 37.33 croreJuly 29th, 2011 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 29 (IANS) At Rs.37.33 crore, Mcleod Russel India Ltd, the world’s largest tea producer, Friday announced a near 100 percent jump in net profit for the first quarter of 2011-12 ending June 30 against Rs 18.85 crore for the corresponding period of the previous fiscal.
The jump in net profit by almost 98 percent was facilitated by higher price of tea during the first quarter and a shortfall in production worldwide.
Dry weather conditions in Kenya and other African countries during the first three months have pulled down production in those countries by almost 37 million kg during the period.
“With African tea production down by 37 million kgs, the company’s teas that are produced at Ugandan and Rwandan tea estates are garnering 50-60 cents more per kg at the Mombasa auction. Our estates in Uganda produce 16 million kg of tea, while the yield of Rwandan estates is 2 million kg,” Aditya Khaitan, managing director of the company, said at the 13th annual general meeting of the company here.
Average prices of the tea of the company was higher by Rs 12.59 per kg over last year.
Shortfall in the global market and 2.5 to 3 percent growth in demand in the domestic market have helped the company to fetch higher prices during the first quarter.
“As a group we are going to end this year with 104 million kg and this by far is the highest for us as a group. We hope that over the next 3 to 4 years, we will be able to touch the 115 million kg yardstick,” Khaitan said.
“This year monsoon has arrived on time and the production scenario till date is quite
encouraging,” he added.
- Jay Shree Tea fetches higher returns - Jul 26, 2012
- Tea firm McLeod Russel's net profit dips 13 percent - Jan 31, 2012
- McLeod Russel's 2010-11 net profit up 7 percent - May 30, 2011
- Love your morning cuppa? Get ready to pay more - Feb 09, 2012
- McLeod expects biofuel project to bear fruit in a year - May 31, 2010
- McLeod Russel expects tea price to go up - Oct 27, 2009
- Tea firm McLeod Russel to invest $6 mn in Africa - May 30, 2011
- Harrisons Malayalam Q1 profit Rs 3.47 crore - Jul 28, 2011
- McLeod Russel sees Rs.150 a kg price realisation - Aug 02, 2010
- Mcleod Russel's net dips by 2 percent in Q3 - Jan 31, 2011
- Jay Shree Tea to buy out another tea garden in Africa - Jun 25, 2010
- Indian tea makers fear lacklustre exports - Mar 28, 2012
- NALCO's Q1 net profit up 32 percent - Aug 13, 2011
- McLeod acquires six tea gardens in Uganda - Dec 23, 2009
- Small tea growers usher in winds of change in Assam (With Image) - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: african countries, african tea, annual general meeting, crore, dry weather conditions, first quarter, first three months, global market, india ltd, managing director, mcleod russel, monsoon, net profit, rwandan, shortfall, tea estates, tea producer, tea production, teas, yardstick