MCD seeks scrapping of property tax in unauthorised coloniesNovember 10th, 2010 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 10 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) -led civic body Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Wednesday asked for the abolition of property tax from unauthorised colonies in the capital.
“When MCD is not spending a single rupee on these colonies, then it has no right to recover tax from there,” said Sarita Chaudhary, BJP councillor and deputy chairman of MCD’s standing committee.
Councillors said the unauthorised colonies should first be regularised and provided facilities like roads, drinking water, drainage and electricity.
The meeting saw unruly scenes as the councillors shouted slogans, and staged a protest.
Chaudhary also said that it was strange that owners of houses constructed during 2008-10, were being asked to pay tax from 2004.
“When property tax is not being recovered for years together from various government departments like DTC and Delhi Metro, then why force these people,” she asked.
Yogendra Chandolia, chairman of the standing committee, said he will discuss the issue with Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna, but the councillors were not pacified, leading to the adjournment of the meeting.
- 'Claims of regularising unauthorised colonies a gimmick' - Jul 05, 2012
- Delhi MPs to meet Lt Governor on house tax issue - Jan 15, 2011
- Building collapse toll 69, political blame game goes on (Night Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Blame game in midst of building collapse tragedy - Nov 16, 2010
- Congress trying to save guilty building owner: BJP - Nov 18, 2010
- Delhi government hits out at MCD over unauthorised colonies - Nov 29, 2010
- Delhi civic agency gets Rs.1,500 crore - Jul 26, 2010
- MCD proposes five percent hike in property tax - Dec 08, 2010
- MCD councillors demand Games passes - Sep 16, 2010
- MCD proposes five percent hike in house tax - Dec 08, 2010
- MCD gets report on ways to hike house tax collection - Jul 29, 2010
- Dikshit for early completion of work in illegal colonies - Jan 05, 2011
- Regularisation of posts for street cleaners soon - Jul 02, 2010
- MCD trifurcation: Delhi mayor meets Chidambaram - Nov 19, 2011
- Build one lakh houses for poor: Kamal Nath - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: abolition, adjournment, bharatiya janata party, civic body, councillor, councillors, delhi metro, deputy chairman, dtc, government departments, lieutenant governor, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, property tax, rupee, slogans, standing committee, tejendra khanna, unauthorised colonies, water drainage