MCD blames Delhi government for waterloggingJuly 14th, 2010 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Wednesday asked the Delhi government to draw up a drainage action plan to combat waterlogging in the city and blamed the Commonwealth Games’ construction work for the problem.
The issue was taken up in the civic agency’s standing committee, its highest decision-making body.
The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) councillors blamed the Congress-ruled city government for the flooding of roads.
The BJP members said the Commonwealth Games’ construction work being carried out across the city was the major reason for piling up of debris in and around the city, due to which rain water was accumulating in most parts of the city.
The BJP councillors also alleged that about 80 percent of the waterlogging complaints during the recent spells of heavy rains came from areas under various other civic agencies, particularly public works department (PWD) which comes under the Delhi government.
Leader of the opposition and Congress member Jai Kishan Sharma accused the BJP-led MCD
for improper desilting of drains that had resulted in large scale waterlogging in the city.
“The corporation was not up to the mark, the BJP councillors never carried the desilting of drains properly. Adding to this, the construction debris left on the roads by agencies like the PWD and Delhi Metro prevented rain water from flowing into drains.”
- Draw up drainage action plan: MCD to Delhi government (Lead) - Jul 15, 2010
- Delhi waterlogging: Civic agencies ignored police warning - Aug 24, 2010
- Are Delhi agencies geared to tackle monsoon? - Jul 06, 2012
- Set up committee to prevent waterlogging, says high court - Aug 28, 2012
- When an inundated Delhi reminded one of Venice! - Sep 09, 2011
- MCD adopts 'zero tolerance' against debris on roads - Jul 15, 2010
- Day after rain chaos, MCD plays blame game - Sep 16, 2011
- Court slams Delhi civic agencies for waterlogging (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Court seeks report from civic agencies on water-logging - Jul 11, 2012
- Ready to tackle water stagnation during rains: MCD - Jun 27, 2011
- Will Delhi weather the storm this monsoon? - Jul 01, 2010
- Civic agencies hold several meetings to discuss water-logging - Jul 13, 2010
- Learnt lessons, prepared for monsoon: MCD - Jul 05, 2010
- Monsoon again throws Delhi out of gear - Aug 22, 2010
- Delhi sets up panel to check waterlogging - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: city government, civic agencies, commonwealth games, congress member, construction debris, construction work, delhi government, delhi metro, drains, government leader, heavy rains, jai, kishan, leader of the opposition, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, pwd, rain water, standing committee, waterlogging