Massive diamond unearthed from Lesotho mineSeptember 9th, 2010 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 9 (IANS) A magnificient 196-carat rough white diamond has been unearthed at a mine in Lesotho, the firm owning the mine said here. The find is, however, dwarfed by the Cullinan diamond.
The diamond that measures 1.18 inches across is expected to get a “substantial” price when it is sold by Gem Diamonds. The dazzling rock is expected to produce top colour and clarity once it is cut and polished, the Daily Mail reported Thursday.
It was found at the company’s mine in Lesotho in South Africa.
The significant find, however, is no match for the giant 3,106 carat Cullinan Diamond that was discovered in 1905 and the 191 carat Koh-i-Noor, which dates back to 1306 and is unparalleled in cut and clarity and is now part of the British Crown jewels.
The Koh-i-Noor originated in India but was seized by Britain as a spoil of war in the 19th century.
Gem Diamonds has found three of the world’s 20 largest diamonds in the past four years in the mine, including the 603-carat Lesotho Promise that sold for 8 million pounds.
The company in a statement said: “This remarkable rough diamond is expected to achieve a substantial price per carat as preliminary examinations indicate that it is expected to produce top colour and top clarity polished diamonds.”
- Dwarfing Koh-i-Noor, newly found gem stone may be historys largest round diamond - Sep 22, 2008
- Rare Golconda diamonds on sale at Christie's - Apr 02, 2011
- 507-carat diamond found in South Africa - Sep 29, 2009
- Zambian emeralds dazzle Indian buyers - Mar 22, 2011
- 507 Carat diamond found in South African mine - Sep 30, 2009
- Big pink diamond found, to be cut as single stone - Feb 21, 2012
- India to train Lesotho police - Feb 22, 2011
- World record set for blue diamond at Swiss auction - May 13, 2009
- A unique diamond auction - Apr 21, 2009
- De Beers to reduce diamond production - Jul 21, 2012
- 507 Carat Cullinan Heritage Highest Priced Diamond - Feb 28, 2010
- British PM asked to discuss Kohinoor return to India - Jul 24, 2010
- Diamonds in demand, prices soar in Surat - Nov 18, 2010
- Muslim merchant finds Ganesha shaped rough diamond (With Images) - Aug 21, 2010
- Diamond supply is running out, says De Beers - Apr 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,