Maruti’s Manesar plant reopens after 34-day shutdownAugust 21st, 2012 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) Production restarted at Maruti Suzuki’s Manesar plant Tuesday under heavy security more than a month after violence and rioting led to a shutdown of the factory.
The company said it will initially produce just 150 cars daily from Tuesday with a strength of 300 workers.
Violence between workers and company officials erupted at the plant July 18 that claimed the life of a senior official and led to injuries to 96 supervisors and managers.
The company said the arson during the incident caused a loss of nearly Rs.10 crore, but production losses run into crores of rupees, as the plant was manufacturing nearly 1,700 vehicles per day. There are nearly 120,000 bookings alone for the company’s popular hatchback, Swift.
The plant has two production lines with an assembly capacity of 1,200-1,700 cars a day. Work at both the plants had started, said a company official.
The auto major employed 3,300 workers at the Manesar plant. Out of these, 1,528 were permanent and the rest 1,869 were contractual.
The company has terminated services of 500-odd workers including 154 who have been arrested for participating in the violence.
- Maruti restarts Manesar plant with 400 workers (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Maruti to restart Manesar plant next week - Aug 16, 2012
- Maruti's Manesar plant: 16 cars made on second day - Aug 22, 2012
- Maruti managers to decide co-workers, unions protests - Aug 17, 2012
- Job seekers at Maruti's Manesar plant prey for agents, touts - Aug 18, 2012
- Maruti to invest Rs.1,700 crore in Manesar plant: Haryana minister - Aug 24, 2012
- Maruti strike continues for sixth day, production hit - Oct 12, 2011
- Maruti not to abandon Manesar plant, says Bhargava (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Brief tools-down at Maruti's plant, no production loss - Jul 28, 2011
- Haryana bans Maruti workers' strike - Jun 10, 2011
- Manesar violence blow to Maruti, may hit Japanese investment - Jul 20, 2012
- SIT to probe fresh violence in Maruti Manesar plant (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Strike continues for fourth day at Maruti's Manesar plant - Jun 07, 2011
- Maruti strike continues for fifth day, production hit - Oct 11, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki to resume operations at Manesar soon - Aug 14, 2012