Maruti to decide on restarting Manesar plantAugust 12th, 2012 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Aug 12 (IANS) The country’s major carmaker Maruti Suzuki is expected to partially restore production at its Manesar facility within the next 10 days. An important exercise to this effect will to take place Monday, company sources said.
An announcement is expected during a high-level meeting between the Maruti Suzuki management and the Haryana government.
The plant, which has two production lines assembling some 1,200 cars a day, was shut following the July 18 violence that claimed the life of Maruti’s senior executive Awanish Kumar Dev and left over 100 others injured. Maruti declared a lockout in the plant July 21.
The carmaker will first start Plant B, which currently makes the Maruti Suzuki Swift model and is expected to bring in some experienced workers from its Gurgaon plant.
“Plant B has been selected to run first because it is highly automated and will need less workers to begin operations. Resuming production of Swift and then Dzire will help the company meet the high demand. This plant can produce more than 400 cars per day and needs nearly 125 workers. Only the general shift will be functioning,” said a Maruti official, who did not wish to be named.
“We hope to make an announcement on resuming production at Manesar on Monday (August 13). After the decision, component vendors will need at least a week to start production and supply,” he added.
The production halt has stretched waiting periods on both Swift and Dzire models to over six months.
A Maruti Suzuki spokesperson said, “On Monday, the company is also expected to get the report of the special investigation team on the July 18 violence. We will definitely review the investigation report and then be able to announce to restart the plant.”
A special investigation team of Haryana Police is probing the July 18 violence at the Manesar plant. Till now, it has arrested 134 workers, including 12 office-bearers of the workers’ union.
Indo-Asian News Service
- Maruti Suzuki to resume operations at Manesar soon - Aug 14, 2012
- Maruti management thanks locals for support - Aug 16, 2012
- Trade unions to march in support of Maruti workers - Aug 16, 2012
- Trade unions demand end of Maruti lockout, CBI probe - Aug 04, 2012
- 'Lockout to continue in Maruti's Manesar plant' - Jul 30, 2012
- Maruti not to abandon Manesar plant, says Bhargava (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Maruti may opt for CISF cover for Manesar plant - Jul 23, 2012
- 'Police did not intervene in July 18 violence' - Jul 31, 2012
- Maruti employees offer prayers at Manesar plant - Aug 19, 2012
- Maruti worker sent to police custody for 5 days - Aug 16, 2012
- Maruti's Manesar plant incident was a criminal act: Suzuki - Aug 23, 2012
- Mahapanchayat demands CBI probe into Maruti violence - Jul 23, 2012
- Maruti management to blame for crisis: AITUC - Jul 27, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki produces 200 cars at Manesar - Sep 06, 2011
- Maruti announces indefinite lockout at Manesar plant - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: asian news, carmaker, company sources, component vendors, haryana government, indo, investigation report, investigation team, lockout, manesar facility, maruti suzuki swift, news service, rt, six months, spokesperson, suzuki swift, swift model, violence, waiting periods, workers union