Maruti Suzuki launches Ertiga, enters MUV marketApril 12th, 2012 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 12 (IANS) Passenger car market leader Maruti Suzuki Thursday made an entry into the multi utility vehicle (MUV) segment, launching Ertiga, priced between Rs.5.89 lakh and Rs.7.30 lakh for the petrol variant and Rs.7.90 lakh and Rs.8.45 lakh for the diesel-powered one (ex-showroom Delhi).
“Ertiga is a major step forward for Maruti Suzuki. We will try and gain as much of volume (sales) as possible with Ertiga,” S. Nakanishi, managing director and chief executive, said at the global launch of the car here.
The company said the MUV segment had emerged as the fastest growing sub-segment among utility vehicles (UV) and Ertiga will help consolidate its position in the market.
Maruti suzuki did not have a vehicle in this segment earlier. An MUV or multi-utility vehicle is a minivan — people-carrier or people-mover — that is designed for personal use.
Nakanishi said the firm’s “prime focus” will be the domestic Indian market.
“We plan to start the CKD (completely knockdown) operations of Ertiga to Indonesia,” he added.
The new MUV received its name from Indonesian language in which Ertiga means Three Rows.
The petrol variant of Ertiga is powered by a 1,373 cc K14 engine which can churn out power worth 95 ps at the rate of 6,000 rotations per minute (RPM) with a fuel efficiency of 16.02 km per litre.
The diesel variant is powered by a 1,248 cc D13 engine which produces 90 ps at the rate of 4,000 RPM with a fuel efficiency of 20.77 km per litre.
The company has spent a total of Rs.410 crore on the projects, including the money spent by the vendors.
The company said it had a current market share of about 38.8 percent. Segment-wise, it has a majority share of 55.2 percent in the petrol segment and 18 percent in the diesel.
The company is expecting the 2012-13 to be a good year in terms of sales, as it sees a rebound in consumer sentiment.
- Maruti Suzuki unveils multi-purpose vehicle Ertiga - Jan 06, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki launches SX4's diesel variant - Feb 22, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki unveils new Swift DZire - Feb 01, 2012
- General Motors launches new Cruze model - Jun 27, 2012
- Maruti to focus on diesel cars (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki launches new Swift model - Aug 17, 2011
- Tata Motors launches Indigo e-CS VX compact sedan - Sep 05, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki launches premium sedan Kizashi - Feb 02, 2011
- Maruti plans to roll out SUVs and MPVs - Feb 03, 2012
- Maruti ramps up car production to bring down waiting period - Feb 03, 2012
- Toyota launches diesel variant of Liva and Etios Liva - Sep 09, 2011
- Toyota launches new variants of Corolla Altis sedan - Jun 16, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki's Q4 net profit down three percent (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Renault to increase prices of Koleos - Dec 14, 2011
- New launches to dazzle visitors at Auto Expo - Jan 01, 2012
Tags: ckd, consumer sentiment, crore, current market, fuel efficiency, good year, indonesian language, knockdown, lakh, launch, majority share, market leader, maruti suzuki, minivan, nakanishi, passenger car market, prime focus, rotations, rs 8, volume sales