Maruti Suzuki exports one millionth vehicleApril 30th, 2012 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) Passenger car market leader Maruti Suzuki Monday dispatched its one millionth vehicle, a red coloured hatchback A-star, for delivery in Denmark.
The export vehicle left the Mundra port along with 2,200 other vehicles for various international destinations such as Switzerland, Malta, Sweden, Algeria, Egypt and Morocco.
“A million cars in overseas markets is a significant milestone for us. We are happy that cars manufactured at Maruti Suzuki India have found good customer acceptance in overseas markets,” said Shinzo Nakanishi, managing director and chief executive, Maruti Suzuki India.
According to Nakanishi, the company has aligned its export strategy by focusing more on the non-European markets.
“Two years back, Europe was a strong destination for us. The market for us has shifted significantly from Europe to non-European countries,” Nakanishi said.
In 2009-10, the company exported a total of 1.47 lakh units out of which over 75 percent were bound for Europe. However, in 2011-12 the share of non-EU export shot up sharply from 23 percent to 66 percent.
“This strategy worked in our favour and helped us retain our export numbers after European nations withdrew the scrappage incentives,” Nakanishi added.
The company said Algeria has emerged as a key exports destination for it and that the latest export shipment includes over 1,500 units for the North African nation.
“With today’s shipment Algeria also attains the landmark of being the only country to import over 100,000 units from Maruti Suzuki,” the company said.
The company added that it plans to expand its presence in newer markets including the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) region.
- Maruti Suzuki unveils multi-purpose vehicle Ertiga - Jan 06, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki's Q4 net profit down three percent (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki crosses 10 million sales mark - Feb 09, 2012
- Maruti to focus on diesel cars (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Maruti plans 10 lakh capacity plant in Gujarat - May 31, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki unviels compact SUV - Jan 05, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki cars to cost more - Jan 05, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki launches new Swift model - Aug 17, 2011
- Maruti's Rs.4,000 crore plant to come up in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki unveils new Swift DZire - Feb 01, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki joins UN mission on climate change - Jun 05, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki launches premium sedan Kizashi - Feb 02, 2011
- Maruti hands over green vehicles for CWG - Sep 28, 2010
- Maruti not to abandon Manesar plant, says Bhargava (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki sells over a million vehicles in 2009-10 (Lead) - Apr 01, 2010
Tags: african nation, asean, association of southeast asian nations, customer acceptance, european countries, european markets, export shipment, export strategy, international destinations, lakh units, market leader, maruti suzuki india, milestone, million cars, millionth vehicle, mundra port, other vehicles, overseas markets, passenger car market, southeast asian nations