Maruti suspends production at Gurgaon plantOctober 13th, 2011 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Oct 13 (IANS) Maruti Suzuki has suspended production at its factory here for two days from Friday in view of the strike at its component supplying plant in Manesar, a company spokesperson said Thursday.
The company will review the situation Sunday.
The decision was taken as workers at Suzuki Powertrain India Limited (SPIL), which supplies diesel engines and transmissions to Maruti cars, has halted production to express solidarity with the striking workers at Maruti’s Manesar plant.
While models like M-800, Omni, Eeco and Gypsy are not dependent on component supplies from SPIL, the spokesperson said: “Operating the plant only for these models will be unviable. The production loss for these models can be recovered once the production resumes.”
Meanwhile, production at the Gurgaon plant remained low on Thursday. The factory produced only 600 vehicles as against its normal daily production of 2,800.
Workers at Maruti Suzuki’s Manesar plant went on strike Friday demanding reinstatement of 44 suspended co-workers who were not taken back after an earlier 33-day impasse with the management ended Oct 1.
The plant continues to remain captive in the hands of the striking workers.
The strike at the Manesar plant comes within a week after workers agreed to sign a “good conduct bond”.
The strike could not come at a more crucial time for the car manufacturer as it is the festive season, which typically generates huge demand — something the automobile giant is in need of given the sluggish sales witnessed in recent months.
- Maruti production halted, workers leave Manesar plant - Oct 14, 2011
- Maruti deadlock continues as talks fail - Oct 17, 2011
- Hooda optimistic of breakthrough in Maruti impasse - Oct 20, 2011
- 12th day of strike at Maruti's Manesar plant (Lead) - Oct 18, 2011
- Maruti strike continues for 13th day - Oct 19, 2011
- Maruti strike continues for sixth day, production hit - Oct 12, 2011
- Talks to start Monday to resolve Maruti strike - Oct 15, 2011
- Maruti strike continues for fifth day, production hit - Oct 11, 2011
- Suzuki plants get police cover, workers slam move - Jul 20, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki strike off as most suspended staff re-instated - Oct 21, 2011
- Maruti management thanks locals for support - Aug 16, 2012
- Maruti to decide on restarting Manesar plant - Aug 12, 2012
- Maruti may opt for CISF cover for Manesar plant - Jul 23, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki sales down 40 percent in August - Sep 01, 2012
- Workers have seized Manesar plant: Maruti - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: car manufacturer, co workers, company spokesperson, component supplies, diesel engines, eeco, festive season, good conduct, gypsy, impasse, india limited, maruti cars, maruti suzuki, omni, powertrain, reinstatement, sluggish sales, solidarity, spil, striking workers